Rudge-Whitworth Wire Wheels ????

I have 2 different what I think are Rudge-Whitworth wire wheels. I would like some expert who might know what cars these would fit. Both have splined hubs. The black one is a drop center, while the red tint one is a split rim style, but the rim is missing. I would like to find someone who can use these for their cars. Any idea on value? I would put the money towards my last antique car. Thanks, Jim

IMG_4941.JPG

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4944.JPG

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The two things you will need to provide for identification for each wheel are the outside diameter of the rim where the tire would slide on, and the hub diameter.  The hub diameter is probably the ID of the spline circle.     The hub would always be measured in millimeters and the rim OD probably in inches  but could be in mm 

• Thanks 1

Rudge-Whitworth wheels were made in a variety of sizes ranging from 32 mm to 80 mm, a few at 90-120 mm.  Those numbers indicate the largest bearing o.d. that will fit in a hub but there is nothing on a wheel center that measures those dimensions.  You can measure the i.d. of the splined section to get an approximate match to the standard sizes.  Another way is to count the number of splines in the wheel center, e.g. a 72 mm size has 112 splines.  Here is a chart from an article by Alec Ulmann from a 1974 issue of the VMCCA's "Bulb Horn" magazine.  While the table shows dimensions in mm, the original designs were done in inches back when England was on the Imperial system.

Besides the Rudge size and rim diameter, state the number of spokes.  Your wheels are probably quite old as one has the four balance weights on the rims.

Whit7.jpg.6f90ffae7a3cc8bf23eb16be22204729.jpg 

Ulmann chart of Rudge hubs, 1974.

splinedhub72mm112splines.jpg.53632e4139b8fd4e365d50f62abc67ca.jpg

nominal 72 mm Rudge hub with 112 splines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1