1977 Dodge B200, Electrical Issue.

1977Dodgeb200

1977 Dodge B200, It was starting when I bought it last week. Now when I try to start it, the power dies. The same thing happens when I turn on my headlights but only sometimes. The connections are pretty clean and wiring looks ok. I have no clue what it could be. Please help.

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Not sure what you mean. Is the starter not working? Or does it start then stall? Can you describe the symptoms in detail?

I turn the key in the on position to turn on my radio, the radio turns on. I turn the key past the on position to start the engine, the power to the radio shuts off.

• Like 1

Starter draws 100+ amps from the battery, radio draws about 4 or 5.  Radio will die if starter is trying to turn over when battery or battery cables and connections are not in good working order.  Also, some vehicles will cut power to the accessories when the key is in start position.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I think these 70s Dodges kill the radio while you are cranking normally don't they?

Clean your battery terminals. I don't mean on the outside, I mean take them off and clean the outside of the post and the inside of the hole in the terminal. If the outside of the post is black, that aint gonna work. Scrape it or sand it or something. Oh yeah, wash your hands because not only is it nasty but the posts and terminals are made of lead.

Your positive battery cable has a big wire going to the starter and a smaller one going to the starter relay. It is pretty common for someone to have cut the original battery terminal off and replaced it with a universal one that clamps on with 2 bolts. Those never hold up long. If that has been done, take it apart where it clamps on the wires and clean/scrape the ends of the wires real good, as well as the area on the terminal they clamp to. Both wires have to have a good connection for it to start. There might also be a third wire in 1977. If so, clean that up too. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1