steering gear center link

deac

Posted (edited)

We inspected the front end for any indication of moving parts hitting each other: nothing found.  Performed a pretty aggressive front end bounce test and heard the bang noise.  From the sounds of the noise a slight twang was heard.  We thought something related to the spring! Took the left spring out and it looked okay.  Looked at the spring perch and there was wear like the spring was not seated properly, and that was the only thing we saw. Put the spring in properly and perform another bounce test; bang! the noise was still there!  So we had someone lay next to the car and listen and listen he did!  He then reached under the left side of the car with his arm and took a video of what was going on.  It turned out that the left tie rod was hitting the very end of the right tie rod at the pre-load cap!  Took the tie rod out and noticed someone had previously whaled on it with a hammer I guess attempting to straightened it.  Looked on the 1940 Buick shop manual and the tie should have a bend in it.  Looked at a 41 Buick in the shop and saw the bend was there.  So with a gas torch heated up the left tie rod end and bent it so that it matched the one on the 41 and reinstalled it.  Performed another bounce test and there was no noise heard. Now it's off to the alignment shop...

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Good find!  There must have been a shiny spot on the rod where the tie rod end was getting caught.  Hopefully after the alignment the steering wheel will be set straight and the tie rod adjusters should show roughly the same number of exposed threads.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Good find!  There must have been a shiny spot on the rod where the tie rod end was getting caught.  Hopefully after the alignment the steering wheel will be set straight and the tie rod adjusters should show roughly the same number of exposed threads.

Why someone would physically alter the bend in the tie rod link is beyond me!  That's the part of the story I cannot figure out; what was the thinking behind that?  Also, I can help but think the left spring was not mounted correctly in the perch.  Though it's not easy to see in the picture, in the perch at the 5 o'clock area there's evidence where the end of the coil dug into it apart from the other areas of discoloration.

lft frnt susp 04.jpg

lft frnt susp 01.jpg

lft frnt susp 02.jpg

lft frnt susp 03.jpg

lft frnt susp 05.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, deac said:

Why someone would physically alter the bend in the tie rod link is beyond me!  That's the part of the story I cannot figure out; what was the thinking behind that?  Also, I can help but think the left spring was not mounted correctly in the perch. 

Maybe the result of a prior accident (albeit minor)?  Possibly a hard pothole hit?  Or possibly caused by improper sling towing at some time in the past?  I'm just glad that it wasn't the steering box!  ;)

46 minutes ago, deac said:

Why someone would physically alter the bend in the tie rod link is beyond me!

It is a generational thing I have encountered many times: "we have done so much for so long with so little we are now qualified to do anything with nothing", often attributed to General MacArthur. And was probably completed with pride.

I have worked in the shadow of those mechanics but never stood on their shoulders.

My most memorable experience with their ilk is of spending about three hours inverted in the vee of an alligator nosed Packard with a stack of various spacers and washers reinstalling the wrong generator against my will.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well I took my Buick to the alignment shop today and it went well! I am pretty sure I can put this steering issue to bed. The car runs like a top.

• Like 2