1949 Olds, Pontiac, and Chevy Fisher Bodies

dcaddick

I am working on the passenger door of the 49 Olds woodie project. In the Fisher body book they show the inside of the passenger door but it does not show the glass vent wing or window installed with the location of how you attach the divider at the cross piece. Anyone have a picture of the inside of the door?

It is really to bad that these cars are so rare. Maybe 25 of them left. Granted these Fisher bodies are a terrible design. They cut too much wood out for all the stuff they tried to install. It is not surprising that when these cars got wet and you shut the doors a few times that it would just snap. Oh well. Any help with a picture would be great

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe 1949 GM station wagons were manufactured by Fisher Body, and were farmed out to Ionia Body Mfg.  Therefore, a separate Parts Catalog for station wagons may have been issued for parts specific to them.   

Craig

There is a book called, Vintage Station Wagon Shop Service by Thomas B. Garrett, that I think has what you are looking for. It might be out of print but might be available on line. If you can't find it, let me know and I will lend it to you. You are correct that your car was a Fisher Body, some Pontiacs were made by both Fisher and Ionia.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 10:37 AM, Rexville48 said:

This is what the inside of a 48 made by Fisher looks like.

2AA74ED6-83C4-4874-BCF2-9E1E47C161FB.jpeg

12E42C9A-6CA0-4386-8BF0-4380884B3C7A.jpeg

This very similar to mine and the divider is the same. Thank you for sharing the pictures. In the 49 Fisher body book it shows the bottom board but does not show the divider installed. This project is 10 years in the process and these details are really small but important to make things work the way they were designed. Thank you for the help.

• Like 1