1991 Riviera rear struts

ArcticWhite88

Hello: after searching high and low, I am currently unable to locate any source for rear struts for my 1991 Riviera.  Does anyone have an idea or maybe have a couple they would be willing to sell?  I also have a Reatta (different rear strut configuration) and those are unavailable as well!  Not good news.  If anyone has an idea or something else that would work, let me know.  Would prefer an OEM or high quality equivalent. Thanks!

I don't believe so.  "Redi-Struts" have the spring with them, plus the upper mounts mechanisms.  Air Struts usually are by themselves, but rh and lh.

Edit -- Just looked in Rock Auto and all they show, for the 1991, is a very limited number of bare struts for the front only.  No rears listed.  Unlike the 1995s where the rear air shocks match the LeSabre/Park Avenue cars with automatic level control, where a pair of KYBs cost less than 1/2 of ONE ACDelco item (where a pair end up being close to $500.00!).

FWIW,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

OEM rear struts for the 86-93 Riviera and the compatible 88-91 Reatta are no longer being produced or are available.  A number of gents over at the Reatta Owners Journal Forum are experimenting with a homemade machined alternative.  I assume ArticWhite88 is aware of this.

• Like 1

Thanks dship. Yes, I have seen some of that on the Reatta side.  I have neither the mechanical acumen nor resources to trust my abilities in putting a project like that together unfortunately. I wish I did!  Seems crazy that with several GM vehicles with similar struts and likely thousands still on the road in some capacity that zero parts are available for a wear item such as this but I guess this is just how it is now. 

• Thanks 1

How much different are the 91 rear air shocks from the later rear shocks?  Or how close might they be to the ones on Park Avenue/LeSabres from 2000 or so?  As they all seem to look pretty close AND all cost way too much money, by observation?

NTX5467

• Like 1

This I'm not sure about. Have looked at those as well. Physically they look similar.  Anyone try these later model struts out on an older application?  Does someone out there have one new Monroe 71801 that might be available so this car can get back on the road?  I'm really trying to avoid modifying something else in order to get this done.