1951 Dodge wayfarer governor

letoto66

No but it can work its way in. Clean it out with brake clean spray or contact cleaner and drag a strip of white paper between the contact points. Do this a few times until it comes out clean. Be careful as they are soft silver, use of a file or sandpaper NOT recommended.

• Like 2

That is a lot of oil, usually a little works its way in over the years but not like that. You might need to investigate how it is getting in. I don't know if there is a seal in there that could be worn. I don't think new governors are available unless you are lucky and an NOS one turns up. So it is likely necessary to fix the old one

• Like 1

I have never seen one of these governors full of oil.

It is typical for the smallest amount of of to get into the governor and contaminate the points after years of service but that's it.post-302-0-81720700-1465753193.jpg.fd9e770a217b270d62abc94962212844.jpg

Is the transmission over filled?

Unscrew the governor and drain it out.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, letoto66 said:
thank you for your reply and help!
where does the transmission fill? and where does it drain?
THANKS

There are 2 pipe plugs on the right side of the transmission as shown in C49er's picture. The lower is the drain, the upper is the fill. Use tractor fluid, TDH type, ISO 32 or ISO 22 grade. Or 10W motor oil.

Fill the trans using the upper hole until oil starts to drip out.

Same fluid is used to top up the Fluid Drive unit.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Probably not but it isn't hard to test. If you don't have a factory manual you could look it up on the net, the Imperial club has some good factory films on these transmissions.  Or maybe C49er remembers how to do it. I could look it up for you except I suffer from an old ailment, laziness.

The governor most likely is good as long as it's contacts are clean of oil and assembled correctly and the original good cover gasket is used.

A different thickness or no gasket will change the transmission upshift speed.

With the wire disconnected from the governor stud... then connecting one lead of an ohm meter to the stud, othwr meter lead connected to the governor case you have a very low ohm continuity reading. Say less than 1/2 ohm. Mine shows .4 ohms.

Meaning the points are closed and making good contact.

To see.if the govermor points open drive the car up to about 17 mph in high range ...the points should open up, digital meter will show "OL" meaning open continuity or over load.

Slow back down under 5 mph meter should read less than 1/2 ohm meaning points closed as they should when coming to and stopped.

Same testing can be done on the bench.

Just have to spin the shaft quickly with your fingers a couple times to see that the meter shows "OL" when you spin the shaft fast enough.

Simple test.

20230410_215242_TbgmofE73g.jpeg

1154177621_brokendowngovernor.jpg.9bdb41280a544afa350bb79ec134a7a5.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, letoto66 said:
you think it's weird indeed but do you think the governor needs to be replaced?

I would examine it carefully and see if the shaft needs a seal. It might be that if you put in a 10 cent O ring it will be good as new. Then again, maybe not, but what do you have to lose?

• Like 1

There are no oil seals used in these 1946-53 M-5/M-6 governors....

Too much oil in the transmission or completely wiped out shaft or bushing will let large amounts of excessive  oil quickly into the points cover.

I have never come across a severely worn shaft/bushing.

20230411_161959_7JMX9Tl75k.jpeg

20230411_162018_Fk9abT3k6f.jpeg

20230411_161616_3sU1uA8x7I.jpeg

• Like 1

Maybe the trans was over filled, or filled with the wrong oil. In that case draining and refilling may cure it. If as you say, the bearing is worn, then a new bearing would fix it. Even if you had to have a machinist make one. It looks like there is room to cut a recess at the top of the bearing and slip an O ring in there if you wanted to be sure of no more leaks.

• Like 1

Take it out, check the shaft for side play...probably will find none.

Pull the cover wash it out with brake cleaner. Clean up the points with contact cleaner.

A couple drops of oil on the shaft. Re-install the governor back in the trans and on you go.

They are a really trouble free  unit except for occaisionally seeing a tiny bit of old oil on the points.

The trans cannot be over filled.

• Like 1