51 Pontiac Chieftan Light Switch

51UKChieftan

On 3/30/2023 at 9:34 AM, 47FordCoupe said:

Hi Guys,

Is possible to repair or replace the rheostat on the light switch? 

Joe 

What's it doing? 

The contacts get dirty and they get flickery. If it's burned out then that's more awkward.

By now the switches and rheostats need a good clean and grease.

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

It works on the lowest setting but the slightest movement it stops working. I then have to "twiddle" it and eventually it will come on again at the lowest setting. Anything above low and nothing will happen no matter how much "twiddling" is involved.

Regards

Joe

If it works on the most dim, the resistance wire is good, the sweep has two detents (formed by two rivets), one at the most clockwise is connected to the sweep arm and shuts the panel lights off completely. Fully counter clockwise is the rivet connected to battery power (or swapped round but connected both ways work the same). If you cannot feel those detents, nor does twisting the knob give a slight "raspy" feel, the sweep arm is likely making poor contact.

20230405_071245.jpg.26e7278f3fda37ca940634a9398e476f.jpg

It is spring loaded but a very simple mechanism and open to dirt and dust getting into it, which can cause the spring to become ineffective.

Have you taken the switch out yet? (Also, do you know how it comes apart? It took me a while to figure out, is all)

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)
  • Like 3

20230405_072739.jpg.9e85a14982722f8dabcc3db225aa3bb6.jpg

The rheostat is assembled like this. 

Plastic top-hat on the left holds the spring in place and also acts to insulate the wiper arm from the frame. That sits on the connector to the left screw lug (not pictured), which is held in with a rivet. The resistance wire attaches to the other end of the sweep but it's not connected on the far end (that connection is performed only by the sweep arm). That all then fits into the ceramic.

The connection between the center plate and sweep arm can get dirty, as can the sweep arm to the resistance wire. A good clean might get it working again. I used electronic cleaning fluid (deoxit) and added a little dielectric grease (sold as light bulb grease) to prevent further oxidization.

Note that I didn't take it apart, only got inside with a wire brush, using a tool to push the wiper arm up. Diagram is to try help understand the mechanism.

• Like 2

I might try that with mine. I have thought about spraying it with the electronics cleaner that you mentioned Phil. Mine works but as you turn the knob the dash lights go off,turn it a little more they come on again,off again,and so forth. I think a good cleaning will definitely help it.

• Like 1

On both the ones I have, the brass had formed a layer of verdigris on all the brass parts, which is very hard. 

Cleaning the wiper arm, the resistance wire and the rivets with a steel wire brush yielded the best results. 

I find the least reliable portion of the sweep to be fully counter clockwise where the sweep arm sits the nub that makes contact with the resistance wire into the dimple of the rivet, making contact gently where the corrosion isn't burnished off with use.

I'm sure a glass-fiber brush would also work to clean the surfaces up.

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the information Phil, the photo and diagram help a lot. I haven't removed it yet but i am planning to do it this  weekend. I believe it removes in a similar way to the one on my 57 Caddy. I remember i struggled to find the location of the release lug/button to remove the switch lever on that.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Regards

Joe

5 hours ago, 47FordCoupe said:

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the information Phil, the photo and diagram help a lot. I haven't removed it yet but i am planning to do it this  weekend. I believe it removes in a similar way to the one on my 57 Caddy. I remember i struggled to find the location of the release lug/button to remove the switch lever on that.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Regards

Joe

20230406_084850.jpg.93478a5044943f15b88ba3e305e870cb.jpg

Correct. Release button is arrowed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...