Brake Fluid for 1941 Chrysler?

41WindsorHighlander

DOT3 would be the modern equivalent to the original brake fluid.

If you have replaced all the hoses and cleaned out the tubing then you could use DOT5. But there many that feel that DOT5 shouldn't be used so read up on the pros and cons before you decide to make that large a change on brake fluid chemistr.

• Like 1

I put DOT 5 in a 48 chrysler in 1997. The brakes system still works great, I have not added any fluid and the pedal is firm. I put it in my 59 Studebaker and I had seepage through one of the wheel cylinders  that I had to hone the bore and replace the cups, it has been good since 2014.

I will keep using DOT 5 in my old cars because I have not seen any issues that could not be overcome easily, yet.

• Like 1

If you've also flushed all lines (and replaced the brake pressure-powered brake light switch if so-equipped), I'd go with Dot-5 Silicone.

I had done so with several of our cars with absolutely no negative effects over a period of more than 20 years.

Rather than Dot-3, for a few bucks more I would absolutely use Dot-4. 

Dot-4 is less Hygroscopic so it has less ability to retain moisture which would eventually cause rust in your brake system, affecting bores and the pistons which should otherwise move smoothly.

• Like 3