74 cutlass vso

• 16 years later...
On 4/19/2003 at 10:40 PM, rocketraider said:

I've got Zone Office level copies of all the part #s associated with 1974-77 Y76 Marketing Group Car. Dated 7/1977. Will copy them if you want. PM me with mailing address.

Do you have knowledge of part #'s for 74 base and or 442 header panel? One off yr and I'm wondering if a 4 dr one would work? 

Any info would be helpful including if you know where a useable one is. Or, if there is repop's or OEM available?

• 5 weeks later...

I'd have to dig the books out of storage, but you're already ahead of the game by knowing 1974 Cutlass (not S, Supreme or Salon), 442 and Hurst/Olds use the base (AF) header panel, headlight bezels and bumper. The grilles are the difference. Base car uses one, 442/Hurst use a different one.

One from an AF four door will work. Not that that makes one any easier to find.

No repos that I know of and the grilles/bumpers are difficult to find. I looked for a good set of 442/Hurst grilles for my Pace Car for years.

Visit www.classicoldsmobile.com . Lot of knowledge over there and some 73-77 guys. There used to be a 73-77 Olds forum but it is long gone. You might be able to find it by googling but not sure how much is left of it. 

Well thank you for the info, I have a line on a couple 4drs so I will contact them. Someone told me the headlight opening was rounder on 4drs??? They looked very close. If your still in the market for grills there is a nice set on fb. 4-4-2 club, gentleman's name is jim ward. $300 obo! Again, thanks!

The best selling car in the US in 1977 was the Cutlass Supreme.  One of GM's dumbest and most arrogant moves ever was replacing it with the less-popular downsized intermediates for 1978.  If GM had been paying attention, they would have continued production of it for another year or two alongside the downsized version while sales were still good.  I remember reading many Oldsmobile dealers complaining how much Cutlass sales dropped when the 1978's came out.

Craig

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The best selling car in the US in 1977 was the Cutlass Supreme.  One of GM's dumbest and most arrogant moves ever was replacing it with the less-popular downsized intermediates for 1978.  If GM had been paying attention, they would have continued production of it for another year or two alongside the downsized version while sales were still good.  I remember reading many Oldsmobile dealers complaining how much Cutlass sales dropped when the 1978's came out.

Craig

In the 1977 model year, Olds sold 562,587 of the large Cutlii. That number includes all models in the A-body line, but it is US domestic sales only, not export. In the 1978 model year, Olds sold 605,922 of the downsized models, again, domestic sales only. Do the math - apparently not looking so "arrogant", especially in light of the fact that the downsizing was done in response to fuel shortages and CAFE mileage requirements.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

In the 1977 model year, Olds sold 562,587 of the large Cutlii. That number includes all models in the A-body line, but it is US domestic sales only, not export. In the 1978 model year, Olds sold 605,922 of the downsized models, again, domestic sales only. Do the math - apparently not looking so "arrogant", especially in light of the fact that the downsizing was done in response to fuel shortages and CAFE mileage requirements.

That's odd, as no one cared for that fastback design the Olds and Buick version had, which is why it only lasted two model years, while the notchback Supreme itself did hold its own.

Craig