For Sale: 1958 Mercury Montclair Turnpike Cruiser - 2-door Hardtop - Port Orchard, WA - Not Mine - 7/17 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1958 Mercury Montclair Turnpike Cruiser 2-door Hardtop in Port Orchard, WA  -  $17,550 (Reduced from $19,995)  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 6/9, Seller relisted and reduced price to $17,500

Link to 6/9 relist: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/23999666766299228/-1958-Mercury-Montclair-Turnpike-Cruiser 

Seller's Description:

1958 Mercury Montclair Turnpike Cruiser 2-door Hardtop

• Good Condition

This is Marilyn!  She’s a 1958 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser

• 383 Big block
  • Auto push button Transmission
  • She runs great (needs a tuneup)
  • The back window rolls down
  • Trunk could fit 6 adults 🤣

So many more details. She’s looking for a serious buyer. You’ve got to see her and hear her run. $17,550 OBO. Serious inquries only! Come check her out by appointment only! Located in SW Port Orchard. Please send a message with questions or to make an appointment to check her out!

image.png.fc944459f280400496240d0edeadf665.png

image.png.592a4205201c6328b6981570058426f0.png

image.png.3bf4218d8b5f0b1419f4cf435a637721.png

image.png.1615c33acc898adeefc62e477b47422a.png

image.png.dc3d2140752e8fa684c6e7fad2d5963d.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Mercury Montclair Turnpike Cruiser - White, 2-door Hardtop - Port Orchard, WA - Not Mine

I think you have to see this one in person. Photos look pretty nice, but there seem to be some rust and chrome problems. These were advertised as the "Big M" back in the '50's; that might stand for "Big Money" to fix the details correctly today.

Dont forget Rambler had push buttons too 🙂

1957 & 1958 and Mercury had something that Mopar did not, PARK lock.  The chrome bar under the buttons is pushed in and it moved the transmission into neutral and engaged the parking pawl. If you had to roll the car, you pulled back on the chrome bar. It released the pawl leaving the valve body in neutral. 

There is also a button to release the parking brake AND to start the car. For starting you turn the key and push "N/S" (Neutral start) to crank the engine. All these operations in one (convenient) place such that Mercury called the device "Keyboard Control".   Good or bad, it is a left handed device. 

In 1958 FoMoCo had two automatic transmissions, both essentially the same design and construction.

In Ford they were called the Fordomatic and the Cruisematic.  (PRNDL vs PRND1 D2 L) Both were 3 speeds, the difference being one started in 2nd the other started in 1st. 

The Mercury Keyboard Control was used for both.  This car has the Fordomatic (PRNDL) transmission. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why they took pictures of this car while it was wet. It kind of makes me unsure of some of the condition of the chrome. I do like these large Mercuries. Normally I would not be a fan of a white car, but I believe this one pulls it off.  

• Like 2

I think it's cool, but (in my opinion) hosing down for photos isn't something you should have to do with an $17,000 car. Also, if a tuneup is all it needs, how much easier would it be to sell the car if the owner gave it one? I sound critical, but I really do like the car. Just trying to understand how some sellers think. If he'd buffed out the old paint properly and gave it a "tune up" before listing, maybe he could've got his original asking price or closer to it.

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Mercury Montclair Turnpike Cruiser - 2-door Hardtop - Port Orchard, WA - Not Mine - 7/17 SOLD!