Teens or 20's automobile. What is it? Rebodied T? Something else?

Dandy Dave

This is a photo of my Great Grandmother standing by a roadster. She told me when she was young she learned to drive on a Model T Ford. The body does not look like a ford though. She was born in 1886 If memory serves me right. She passed around 1988. Lived to be 102. I thought the Photo my be reversed as for a Model T Ford the door would be on the wrong side so I incuded a reverse of the photo. 

IMG_5342.JPGIMG_5340(2).JPG.3558d2ce78424e3c5fc7234fd4a06a0a.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I don't think this is a Ford. I searched many different makes from 1916 through 1922 or so and could not find any with non-demountable clincher wheels. The closest thing I could find was this 1918 Oakland, but it still has demountables....

Frank

1918 Oakland Model 34B Roadster  Chassis no. C23988

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldford said:

I don't think this is a Ford. I searched many different makes from 1916 through 1922 or so and could not find any with non-demountable clincher wheels. The closest thing I could find was this 1918 Oakland, but it still has demountables....

Frank

1918 Oakland Model 34B Roadster  Chassis no. C23988

The thing that is throwing me is the clencher wheels and small hubcaps. Also the rear spring is like a T as I cannot see half, or three quarter eliptics Even though it is not a traditional model T steering wheel, and the photo is blurry, it looks like it has the hub for the planetarys. Also flat fenders. ??? Sure is a puzzle. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Its an odd one. Definitely not a Ford body, but it COULD be a different body on a Ford Chassis. Notice how poorly the "turtledeck" fits the short (100"?) wheelbase, overhanging the chassis and sticking out beyond the protection of the rear fenders by almost a foot.

Willys Overland also had a roadster of the same general styling as the Oakland in that post-Great War era, with doors (or at least A door!) that opened rearward like the OPs photograph. They were even one of the very few manufacturers that also used that Ford-like  traverse spring suspension.

• Like 1