Want to Buy 1935 Oldsmobile F-35 Grill in Excellent condition...

philipj

I am little confused, I thought that when you said you had a grill shell you had one for sale... I am actually doing this for a friend that has a clone to your car but a six cylinder... They are even harder to find!

You would almost think that a 36 Buick grill would fit...Maybe you should consider putting yours together, make a mold and a mint...:)

I am not the guy who said he had a grill shell; I believe that  was  "Auburncoupe" . 

If you can find an original 6 cylinder 1935 Oldsmobile grill for sale then I'd recommend you jump at the chance. Eight cylinder grills are more plentiful but still extremely rare as GM only offered the 8 styled grill as a replacement part after the initial model year.

I do not have a grill  for sale but as mentioned I've a broken one I will repair someday. It has been in the family since 1936 when my grandfather bought his 1935 Oldsmobile sedan.   

Other GM grills such as LaSalle and Buick models will not fit (36 Buick is close) also  note a 36 Oldsmobile grill will not fit a 35. 

Expect to pay 1000 to 1500 for a good eight 35 Olds grill, more for an original six.

Beware the reproduction six grills . They are of a very poor quality.   

Hello Bill,

My apologies, you share the same icon color and it threw me off...;(  Thank you for the additional information about the grills. It is proving to be a challenge... Very surprised that no one is reproducing the correct one for a 35 six-cylinder model...

I believe there are so few 1935 Oldsmobile cars remaining that it is not cost effective for anyone to reproduce the grill.   GM's fat fender wooden bodied cars did not survive the elements well nor were they as collectable as a Ford or Packard of the same area.

Here is a picture of an original 6 grill with a reproduction copy beside it to the right.   It is hard to see the difference in the picture but the  reproduction one is aluminum, the indent definition varies significantly and generally is just a poor casting .     

FYI: The original grill was sold last summer with a project car.   

Brown Grille.jpg

Silver Grille.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • philipj changed the title to Want to Buy 1935 Oldsmobile F-35 Grill in Excellent condition...

Hi Jewell55 - My name is Michelle Kelsey. I am the friend of Phillip who needs the 1935 Olds V6 Grill. How much and where are you located? I've attached my original grill that was broken. My email is mkelsey7@gmail.com if you'd prefer to communicate directly.

image000001(1).jpg

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 3:49 AM, Mkelsey7 said:

Hi Jewell55 - My name is Michelle Kelsey. I am the friend of Phillip who needs the 1935 Olds V6 Grill. How much and where are you located? I've attached my original grill that was broken. My email is mkelsey7@gmail.com if you'd prefer to communicate directly.

image000001(1).jpg

@Mkelsey7 Michelle, that grille is quite repairable if you have the broken pieces, if you don't then you need to search for another broken grille and weld pieces into yours .   I've repaired one in much worse condition but the bigger challenge is usually how much pitting & corrosion there is to the surface of the grille.   The welding on this L.35 was the easy part but rebuilding the surface for chrome is very time consuming.  I'm about to start sanding the copper plating back for the last time on this one before the final nickel & chrome.

IMG_7423.JPG

Edited by AussieOlds (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 6:33 AM, Mkelsey7 said:

That is great news! I'll check with my guys but what if we don't have the pieces? Can I buy one from you?

Sorry, I'm too far away from you in Australia.   But when you get desperate like I did at one time you buy a plane ticket for you and your grille to fly home.  This is the only NOS grille I've come across and will hopefully go on my F35 in about 2 years.

DSCN0589 (1).JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve got a 35 6 cylinder grille in driver shape. A small piece looks to have been soldered into the small rectangle opening down low at some point. The Olds emblem is also intact. I can bring this to Hershey in a couple weeks. Not really itching to ship, prefer to hand off to minimize the chance of damaging it. $2000. Text or call 618-554-4362. Regards Pat

IMG_8461.jpeg

IMG_8462.jpeg

IMG_8463.jpeg