T Head Engine Wanted

Binkss

Hi Looking for either of the following.

T Head Engine for a 1914 Halley Truck  ( UK Truck) approx 35 to 40 hp If we cannot find an original Halley engine, then  a T head from the Era would be better then nothing. No Gear box required as the Halley is Chain drive. The correct Gear Box Has be found and is sitting in the Chassis. One  important Factor the Exhaust pipes need to exit on the Left of the engine (When Facing from the rear to the front. ) if possible .

Most  of the bits for this truck have been found or made, just an engine to find now. Any help or leads would be good,please, or any other news of other existing Halley trucks.

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Binkss
Put the Wrong Year of Build in Typo - Brain Fuzz (see edit history)

Yep, I'll go with that. Port side is a good term for those that  know Port from Stb'd . However not all do, so simple clarity is I find the best way to go. Especially as the US drives on the Wrong Side of the Road :-))

If you have any leads please do share. Location should not be a problem, US,  Canada, South America, Aus, NZ of where ever.

Thanks

Peter.

I made the distinction plain and clearly so as not to lead to an assumption  at to the side I required the exhaust outlet to be. Clarity in information elevates leading to "Assuming" what one wants.

To ASSUME can lead to the saying we have in the UK  Making An  "Ass out of You and Me ". especially if there is miss interpretation of the requirement.

I prefer to ensure the other person knows full well what I require.

But Thanks for pointing these concerns out to me.

Did Halley build their own engine ? If bought in who was the engine maker ?

For early engines in North America rated HP is not a really good guide. Much more common in those days was to list bore and stroke. For example the HP figure for the Teetor Hartley used in my 1912 project car was listed as anywhere from 35 HP in 1910 sales material , all the way up to 55 HP in the 1914 catalog.  Same engine with only slight detail changes. All the same 4 1/2  x 5 , T head ,4 cyl engine.

Also what style of mounting are you looking for ?  Many  / most North American engines of this era had mounting arms that were cast integrally with the crankcase, sometimes just at the flywheel end , but quite commonly at all 4 corners. Being part of the crankcase { in most cases a large aluminum casting } it is very difficult to alter the width if you are trying to fit the engine to a vehicle that has a different width between the frame rail compared to the engine design width. Placing a car engine in a truck chassis that is often quite a bit wider requires spacer blocks to be made up and fitted. Placing a larger truck engine in a car frame is often almost impossible without casting a new crankcase with narrower mounting arms.

Many early cars and trucks used a sub frame for mounting the engine and gearbox and this is narrower yet. Some commonly used engines came in two versions, a narrow crankcase mounting for some trucks, marine and subframe cars and a wider " mounting arm " version for most cars.  Take a look at the Wisconsin T head family of engines circa 1914 to see examples of both.

The easiest early engines to adapt to other frames are the ones that hang from a " bridge piece " style mounting.. It is reasonably easy to make a narrower or wider " bridge " to suit the frame in question. Often just the front mount is this style , but there are some engines that hang the engine in the frame both front and rear from a bridge piece. 

A few photo's from a existing Halley , or posibly some sales material showing an illustration of the engine would sure help.

And letus know the measurement between your frame rails so we know how much room  is available. Length usually isn't a problem , but width often is.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)