Check the Timing

Otahuhu

How does one check the timing on a fully assembled in the vehicle Stutz straight 8 motor( M8) that has a single overhead cam dual spark plugs mounted on the side of the head .The only timing mark is on the clutch flywheel and the bell housing hole with has a pointer and is well hidden from view under the firewall and  to use a timing light. At TDC at what position should the exhaust cam lob be at vertical or at 45 to the valve ? Appreciate some thoughts on this Regards Len

I’m guessing when it was built timing lights weren’t a thing - one of the books I’ve got says to remove a spark plug and use a screw driver to check for tdc (I’ve never had any real success with this method ) and then looking at the distributor to see if it’s in a firing position 

My Cadillac is also hard to see the marks on the flywheel (they tell you to chalk it but sensibly added additional marks half way through the run) so I use my phone on record to see how things are lining up 

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)

Remove the spark plugs and hand turn the engine to TDC on the firing stroke.   Although hard to see it is ready to fire.   Take a piece of a metal coat hanger and make a pointer and attach it to a existing bolt near the Crankshaft pulley;  Bend it so it is over the pulley and paint a mark on the pulley.  You can now use a timing light.

• Like 1