Hupmobile model 20 new crankshafts

Jeff Spear

I hope it is okay to post this. I am not doing this for profit or as a business just trying to help other owners.

So I ended up needing a crankshaft for my model 20 and have decided to have some cast from ductile iron this has been done before and the ones in use have held up well at least, the ones I could find information on. Also the foundry has made other crankshafts in class 80 iron with no reported problems so this seems to be a good option.  I also spent some time figuring out that the factory crankshaft was close to a 1030 steel forging what that means is the ductile iron will be as strong if not stronger than our factory crankshafts these are also beefed up a little.

I have spent countless hours researching iron grades and all options to reproduce a crankshaft for our cars and many phone calls to find a foundry that pours ductile iron and would do the job and had experience with crankshafts this was the best overall option I could find that was affordable.

If you need a crankshaft for your model 20 or would like a spare for the shelf let me know and I will send you a PM with info on a deposit. 

With the current quote from the foundry if I can get 6+ orders I should be able to offer the raw casting for 300+ shipping  I would ask for a $150 deposit with the rest due + shipping when it ships. This quote expires at the end of the month but they don't expect it to change much if at all. I don't think I'll have the orders in by then but if the price were to change or I don't get 6 orders you will be informed of the new price with the option to back out with a full refund of the deposit (if you use paypal you might loose out on some fees in the event of a refund I'm not sure how that works) 

This will be a raw casting you will need to have a machine shop do the taper, threads, and keyways and a crankshaft grinder do the journals. I will be doing all of this to mine so I can guide you through the process if needed. 

Thank you 

Jeff 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok we had a weather-related delay in getting the pattern to the foundry but it is shipping out in a few days so I will get some emails out to those that want one by Friday the 24th to confirm and get a deposit. There will still be time to order for several weeks as they will need to cast a sample and get approval before the run. I imagine the run of castings to happen in late March and be in your hands sometime in April. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ok Guys we got all the bugs worked out and a run of these is getting cast Ive sent emails to all that have a deposit on one or ordered one. It's been more work than I thought and the pattern was junk but we made it work they will take a little extra grinding but for a small run it's not worth a new pattern and I'm happy with how mine the latest sample is coming out. 

Jeff

23094.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...