American Motors and 1959 - the year they almost broke through...the Big 3

JDaly

My family owned Ramblers for 20 years as my father worked for Kelvinator a division of American Motors.

We loved them and with George Romney in charge 1959 almost put them on top.

I write about our use of a 1959 Cross Country Rambler Wagon and the way American Motors worked here on Substack.

You may enjoy the story.

John 

• Like 2

Aside from the re-introduced small Rambler, which became the American in 1958, there were no two-door models available in the larger series; only four door sedans and hardtops, including station wagons.   And the four door hardtop Ambassador wagon was not a huge seller.  Sales possibly would have been greater, had two door sedans and hardtops been available that year.  It wasn't until 1962 could one buy Classic and Ambassador two door sedans.

Craig

• Like 2

Very interesting articles. Thanks for the link. That was an effective way that AMC promoted their unibody construction: the whole body structure is the "frame", so show a family sitting on just a frame and compare it to a family sitting within the body shell. One looks more substantial than the other.

I still dream about owning a late 60's Javelin some day. To me, base model pony cars generally looked better than the dolled up factory performance versions (the Boss 302 excepted) and the base model Javelin looked better than the base model Camaro or Mustang. I'm kind of surprised that I see more AMX's than Javelins for sale online. It was interesting to read about your family's 6 cylinder Javelin. That's probably about what I'd want.

• Like 1

THanks James. YES Ramblers' visual on unibody works extremely well... kudos to the market comms people at American Motors to convey it so clearly. Chrysler Airflow could have used that. And I agree on the Javelin, steep sloped windshield way ahead of its time and very cool styling. I drove the 6 cyl javelin regularly but was blown away when we got to try the AMX 289 and the AMX 360 with sticks. Incredibly fast and good handling.

But the styling was way ahead and I felt the Camaros and Firebirds much inferior not to mention mustangs.

John

Thanks Ed. Yes to that great looking Ambassador. Nice.

We had one just like that only in station wagon form. a 1967.

And it rode and handled beautifully.

I attached a picture of it seen vaguely behind my brothers back yard hockey game.

The Marlins were very unique indeed and quite the collectors car.

BUt actually so is this unique Ambassador with the stacked headlights.... carried over to Jeeps when AMC bought them.

John

BackYardWrenStHockey_0001-X2.jpg

• Like 1