1933-1934 Customized Roadster

1937hd45

The body from the cowl back appears to be a 1935-36 ford roadster with modified door tops. Fenders may be modified 1933-34 Ford. The windshield is DuVall style; headlights are Woodlite; the grille, probably a customized 1933 Ford item. The top is probably aluminum fitted with 1938-40 Ford rear windows.

This car may have been designed by Frank Curtis (of later race car fame), George DuVall, whose name is associated with custom windshield frames for hot rods and custom cars and/or Leonard DeBell, owner of the SoCal Plating Co. and responsible for many early customs.

(Note the California license plate on the subject car. It shows a WWll "V" tag)

Other cars with similar restyling appear below:

CCC-the-history-of-the-early-custom-woodlites-01.jpg

CCC-the-history-of-the-early-custom-socal-plating-32.jpg

CCC-the-history-of-the-early-custom-atlas-chrome-02.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 10:45 PM, Twisted Shifter said:

The body from the cowl back appears to be a 1935-36 ford roadster with modified door tops. Fenders may be modified 1933-34 Ford. The windshield is DuVall style; headlights are Woodlite; the grille, probably a customized 1933 Ford item. The top is probably aluminum fitted with 1938-40 Ford rear windows.

This car may have been designed by Frank Curtis (of later race car fame), George DuVall, whose name is associated with custom windshield frames for hot rods and custom cars and/or Leonard DeBell, owner of the SoCal Plating Co. and responsible for many early customs.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I don't think there are any Ford parts in it, must be a low production Roadster that they started with. 

Take a look at the body lines on this 1936 Ford roadster and compare them with the subject car above. Also check out the rear fenders on the '34 ford below. (Subject car is a customized Ford - nothing "low production".)

1936 FORD ROADSTER -

1934 Ford Sedan - rear | 1934 Ford V-8 DeLuxe Fordor Sedan. … | Flickr

BA485F6B-1F7B-4CBA-B7CD-B0FC492FC996.jpeg

Twisted Shifter has a point about the rear body line seams on the Ford being similar.   But the custom car does not have dual body seams like the 36 shown.   If I had neen a custom bulder I would have kept the better looking dual seams.   Alsso the custome 36 Ford does not have reveal up near the top.   I do agree that they are 34 Ford read fenders, maybe even modified 34 Ford front fenders.   I still like the car!