Help Identifying Seat Belts

Riviera63

Hi,

I had purchased some Buick Riviera parts and with those parts were a pair of seat belts that are in pretty good shape. I know they are not for the 1963 Riviera. The 1963 Riviera belts had the same buckle style but, the chrome on some of it was pebbled. Not smooth like these.  I am wondering if someone can help me out with identifying the possible years(s) and/or model(s) that these seat belts were used. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill 

20221121_151848.jpg

20221121_151858.jpg

20221121_151912.jpg

Lap seat belts were most probably a factory option, back then, with GM Parts Factory-Approved Accessories having OEM-style seat belts available for installation by the dealers.  But many auto supply stores (and Sears, Pennys, etc.) sold aftermarket seat belts, too.

I concur, those belts do look to be aftermarket items.

There also used to be some information out back then, that seat belts should be replaced every three years or so.  Fabric deterioration due to UV light and abrasion from grit which could bet into the belt.  But all OEM belts were very tightly-woven, unlike some of the earlier "open weave" belts in the aftermarket.  But nobody replaced them, or even removed them for washing/cleaning.  BTAIM

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

I have attached pictures of seat belts that I know for a fact are 1963 Buick Riviera seat belts. Same buckle style but, with the pebbled portion on the buckle as I mentioned up above. I have also attached a copy of the 1963 Buick Engineer Approved Accessories pamphlet. If you look at the picture of the belts in the pamphlet they have the same buckle as the sets I have pictured. This would leave me to believe that they were at least available for the 1963 model year for the other Buick models. The arrangement to attach them to the floor is similar or the same as the 1963 Pontiacs I have owned. Pontiac used a different buckle than the Buicks though. Were seat belts available as an option for any model years before 1963? Thanks.

Bill

20221124_084905.jpg

20221124_084930.jpg

20221215_162851.jpg

IMG_9225.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2