1936 Studebaker wig wag stop light

Ray in La Mesa

Dredging up an old thread, I just acquired a 36 Studebaker wig wag stop light and was looking for a modern vacuum pump to run it. It's called a GM DC12V electric vacuum pump power brake booster auxiliary pump assembly. It also runs on 6 volt just a bit slower. I had to destroy the over engineered connector to get to the wire connectors but it works fine

No need for an add-on pump. Use what is called a propane safety switch as used on propane powered forklifts. Plumb the wig-wag to your intake manifold with the switch somewhere in line.  The switch can be wired to the brake light switch on your master cylinder. When the brakes are applied, power will go to the brake lights AND to the propane safety switch. The propane safety switch opens up and vacuum is pulled through the wig-wag and you’re in business.  The lights in the wig-wag can be wired the same way to come on with the brake lights.

My ‘37 Studebaker Coupe-Express is still 6 volts, and the propane safety switch is 12 volts, but it works just fine. 

Contact me if you need a part number for the propane safety switch, although the counterman at any large forklift parts supply house should know what you want.

Tom

4B83EDDC-A500-416B-A17E-E6914FCBFB75.jpeg