1938 Packard Super 8 4 Door Conv

Restorer32

How's this for a 1 in a million shot?  Fellow has a '38 Super 8 4 door conv that is missing the entire conv top assembly and wants us to fabricate one for him.  We can do the work but, and here's where the 1 in a million chance comes in, we need to find someone who would loan us the top from a '38 and allow us to disassemble it and use parts of it for foundry patterns. It is a complicated assembly.  Maybe a "one hand washes the other" scenario?  Anyone have such a top that needs some parts but is basically complete that we could use for patterns in return for supplying any missing/broken parts?

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

'38 and up had that extremely difficult to duplicate gull wing shaped header bow. 

Tell me about it…when I was working on the top on  my ‘38 Super Eight convertible coupe, found there were some issues on the header where the two sides meet.  Took to my very talented old car wood guy and he hung his head, said he’d fix it, but it was a challenge…he did fix it, but not without some wailing and gnashing of teeth.

• Like 1

We have made maybe 6 of those gull winged headers over the last few years. At the Abelove auction we purchased a '39 Packard conv body just so we would have a cowl and windshield so we could fit the headers and hope to offer them for sale again but they will be expensive. Extremely labor intensive.

• Like 1