1948 DeSoto. Trouble installing shift linkage.

marcapra

I fixed my clutch linkage and now I'm having some problems with my shift linkage.  I can move the shift lever up and down and shift gears that way, but you are supposed to be able to pull the shift lever towards you and away from you for reverse, I think.  Am I right?  Anyway, I can't get the long Gearshift Selector rod to move.  Does anyone have a clue?  see video

There is a "Pawl" or "finger", if you will, that is on the shaft just under the spring. Looking at your video it is on the left of the shaft

When you pull back on the shifter I believe that the pawl/finger should pull back away from the shaft and then when you put the shifter "up" then the end of the shaft will move up and the pawl will lock into that area you pointed to at the end of the shaft.

Maybe you have something hooked up incorrectly because your linkage is hitting the pawl.

I can look at my parts manual tomorrow

• Like 1

If anyone else is having a similar problem that I had putting their shift linkage together, you should check out this 1949 filmstrip and booklet that describes how the linkage works and how to adjust it.  It uses a 3 speed manual transmission rather than the M-5 or M-6, but the principles are very similar.  

https://mymopar.com/mtsc-1949-volume-2-6-transmission-fundamentals/

https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/018.pdf

• Like 1

But the Hemet fire has grown huge today.  On a high hill I can see the flames and the smoke is drifting over north Temecula now.  Glad there is no Santa Ana winds right now.  Hurricane Kay is coming to save the day.  Rain expected by Friday or Saturday.