Transmission swap

Turbine

'64 will not have the switch-pitch (SP) converter; '65 & '66 will.  If converting a '63, it would seem a '64 ST400 would be simpler since the hard-to-find SP switches would not be required.  Only the kick-down switch and wire would be needed.

• Like 1

Something else to consider. Shift pattern. I think 64 is PRNDL and 65-66 are PRNDL2L1.

64 might be a little more compatible with the 63 console and shift gate (PNDLR?), though you'll still have to modify the neutral safety and reverse lights switches to keep all that functional. 63-65 consoles are pretty much identical, right? So the detent gate and switches could be transferred between them?

I swapped a 1965 SP400 in to my 1962 Lesabre. It had a Dynaflow as well. I would say overall, it was pretty straightforward. Some things that needed to be sorted out......

-The trans mount had to be modified. I'm not sure if there is some interchange between the different year Rivieras. I ended up cutting a couple of inches out of the middle of my Dynaflow mount and using it for the 400. 

-You'll need to wire the kickdown and switch pitch to the carb. You can use factory parts for this. 

-I had to shorten the driveshaft a few inches. I also upgraded to the newer style 400 yoke. The Buicks used the smaller diameter yoke. Not a big deal, but it makes getting bushings and seals much easier. 

-The cooling line routing is a little different. 

-Yes the shift quadrant is different. I would skip the 64 transmission and go for the 65-66. I wanted the switch pitch option. Also, the 64 has a different pan and gasket. It's a one year only odd duck. You'll have to deal with the shift quadrant either way. In my case, the shift quadrat was on the dash. I scavenged some parts and made it look pretty good. 

-You'll also have to sort out the shift linkage. You may get away with a cable setup. Or a later Riviera linkage, not sure. 

Mostly it was just fiddly stuff that either needed a little creativity or required scavenging some newer (65-66) Buick parts for a retrofit. I've been very happy with my swap. 

• Like 1