What is this OLD container ? Is it auto related ? Is it a carbide gas generator ?

bwbugay

There is no name on it that I can see.    It comes apart in 4 pieces  . There is a screw on fill cap on top  and a center screw valve to let (Fuel or  Water  ?? )  into lower sections . There is a nipple on the side of lower section to plug on a rubber hose .

Is this even Auto related  ???

My first thought  was it a carbide gas generator  But   Not sure  ??????

DSCN3373.JPG

DSCN3375.JPG

DSCN3372.JPG

DSCN3374.JPG

DSCN3377.JPG

Edited by bwbugay (see edit history)

• bwbugay changed the title to What is this OLD container ? Is it auto related ? Is it a carbide gas generator ?

It is for a car or truck with gas lights.  Was mounted on running board. Put carbide chunks in, and water.  The water drips very slowly to form Acetylene gas for the lights.  Much like the same idea of a miners light on their helmets.

I believe the term for it was a "generator" back then.  Not sure about that.

• Like 1

Yes probably Model T from 1913-14.  The 1915 T had electric headlamps.  There are a fair number of these generators around, some even never used originals.  A lot of people oped to install Prestolite gas tanks on the running board in place of these generators.  Having the gas in a tank that was easy off'/on sure made it simple to operate gas headlamps.  It looks complete.  If you want to sell it to a T guy who could use it I'm sure we can find it a good home. 

Terry

• 2 months later...