Greedy corporations

This week I found that I needed a ft. outer wheel bearing-a tapered roller bearing- for my 16 Overland. The local bearing supplier traced the number to Timken . When he checked stock they replied that they had 4 bearings in stock and would not produce any more. They quoted $ 535 for one. My supplier asked about an alternate bearing whuch would have worked. It too was obsolete and was quoted at $1800. When we checked by e-mail with NTN bearing Co. in Toronto they did some research and suggested a bearing which hand same dims as mine except that the spindle might need to be reduced in Dia by 0.0004". Their price is $24. Something is wrong with Timken. If any of you need bearings try NTN. All of their's I have used have been quality.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Amen, Brother!

I've never had the pleasure of seeing a P-38 in the air, only in a museum at Wright Patterson AFB. Would love to see one one day.

P-51's are pretty common at air shows, but I never tire of seeing them. One of the most beautiful planes ever made.

Corsairs were built in Bridgeport, Ct., they have one on a pedestal at the airport. The wings were designed that way because of the oversized propeller. This may be a good time to remind everyone about the WWII Weekend at the Reading, Pa. Airport were you can see planes like these flying. Wander around their website and see what itis about http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Guest stude8

Just like an Indianapolis NOVI V8, the sound of a Lightning is something you will never forget. I lived on the approach to Chicago's Midway Airport in the 1940's and when they would ferry the Lightnings across country they always stopped at Midway for refuel. You could hear the gaggle of 4 coming far enough away that I could run outside in time to see them go over. Boy what a sound.

Stude8

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I saw a wing spar from an F4U Corsair in Kissimee FL. Odd looking but easily recognizable.