Header Question

johnspd

As part of some mods to my 350 Olds, I would like to add some headers. I have seen headers in Mondello's catalog (Hookers) and wonder how is the fit. Has anyone used these?

I am kind of a stock guy (and my car is very original), so adding headers is not my favorite option. If they don't fit on top of all this I will definitely regret the change. Rockettrader or other guru, any experience with these.

John did you try Summit Racing? I just picked up a set of header for $159 for a Gbody Olds with a 350. They were Heddmans and they went in without much mods to everything around them.

I've never used headers, but had several "old Pro's" discourage me from them years ago. I was told they're noisey and crack; that the HP gains (despite what the various Hot Rod magazines who advertise the products claim) are not worth the effort. Any truth to that?

I would recommend Hookers...they seem to fit good with no modifications...Look for a mail order catalog to purchase them because they will give you the best price. Hookers are more expensive than others but since they fit well its worth it. Headers have a tendency to work loose and then blow the header gaskets. They sell now locking type header bolts that wont work loose....

Header's Suck!!! You have to ask your self if you are going to be on the strip, or cruising the every day street? I do not care if you install the best or the worst header made, you will be batteling them from day one!! 1'st, Keeping the exhaust bolts tight on the head, that is both sides!! "hope you are not running A/C!!" Next is gaskets!!! both exhaust and collector gasketts!! If 15 or 20 or even 30 horse is worth that head ache to you good luck!! remember 30 in town 55 on a highway and 73 on a freeway!!!! and unlimited at the strip!!!!!!! and a lot of tightning and frustation to the parts store not to mention the local muffler shop!!! I have been there done that!!

Definately heard that opinion too. Just looking for some extra horses. Thought a good ported head from Mondello w/cam and a ported stock intake would work nicely together. The only think is, w/o headers, alot of those gains wouldn't be worth the effort.

The chevy guys sure have it easy! Bastards!

Guest Dave Wyatt

Headman makes a quality header too. I installed a set on my son's 85 Cutlass and was impressed. I had always used the cheap headers on everything else with varying results and all the usual headaches associated with headers. The Headmans have been trouble free. I will never go back to discount headers. The extra money for quality, Headman or Hooker, is worth it. I am using some high dollar Mr. Gasket gaskets at the heads and some silver coated NAPA collector gaskets with great results too. Spend more and be satisfied or spend less and regret it.

If you want a good header, I would recomend a 66 Toronado exhaust manifold if you can find a pair that is'nt cracked!! The reason in this is that they do not have the exhaoust divider between the middle two exhaust ports!! i.e. # 4,6, are wide open and 3, 5, are open! There isn't a forged diveder between the exhaust ports!!! These go almost straight across your exhaust ports and dump straight down behind the fire wall!!! 385 horse 425 will smoke a 68 455 any day of the week!!! There is know sub for ft# of torq!!!

big block exhaust manifold will bolt to a small block up if you remove the starter motor...it interfiers,you will have to use small aftermarket starter!!!and on passenger side manifold will hit the oil filter adapter plate.