64 skylark 225 v6 voltage regulator making buzzing sound

I’m about to put in a new voltage regulator and I am wary because I think it might be a bigger problem. The generator light comes on when the engine is running. I know I should probably figure out how to put an amp meter on the alternator. I did do some test on the different connections within the voltage regulator per the manual. I’m also wondering if the new alternator is causing a problem because isn’t it supposed to be a generator? As you can tell I’m a little out of my element. I was hoping to just get pointed in the right direction. I know I’ll probably end up having my mechanic deal with this one.

I thought the 64 Buicks all ran alternators.  It sounds like yours needs to be rebuilt.  Used to be that I would put in a new regulator with a new alternator, but new regulators are not necessarily better than the original stuff.  

Many areas have competent rebuilding services.  Do you know of any in your area?  If so you should take the regulator and the alternator to them where they can run a diagnostic to tell if it is one, or the other, or both that are at fault.  

I am glad to see you made it down in this section, and I agree with JohnD1956 about should be alternator, BUT you could take a photo of yours mounted in your car and post it here for us just to verify if it is a generator or alternator. Just some thoughts.

In the lower right hand corner of a post you will see a thumbs up, if you click on it to open it up you  can select "funny"  "thanks"  or "like" then you click on  the one you desire, then at the upper right corner by the sign on screen there is a "bell" and a "square box" that will alert you when some "laughed" at your post or sent you a personal message, I only put this here as you are a new member trying to navigate this forum. 

Bob

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree with JohnD; 1964 would have an alternator.  Since you seem to have the shop manual, it will tell you how to check alternator output by bypassing the regulator and applying 12V to the Field terminal on the alternator.  If doing that results in 14V at the battery, the alternator is OK; otherwise the alternator is at fault.  The buzzing makes me suspect the alternator, but the tests described in the manual will confirm the failed component.

• Thanks 1