1939 Dodge transmission-1941 transmission

Steve R

I am rebuilding my 1939 Dodge transmission due to the synchro's worn out and that is my problem. The synchro's in my tranny look to be from a 41 (see 4th photo).

The 1st picture is what came out of my tranny.

In the 2nd photo the top clutch gear is a 37 (see the 3rd photo). The 3rd photo is an exploded drawing of a 39 tranny. The 4th photo is of a 41 tranny. I have circled the parts discrepancy of the clutch gear.

My question is:

1) do I have 1941 parts (Clutch Gear)

2)  is it compatible with the 39 tranny Input shaft 1st gear and 2nd gear

IMG_20220604_100014.jpg

IMG_20220604_100449.jpg

37transmission.png

1941 tranny.png

Wow, nobody? I'll admit I was confused looking at the pictures when I first saw this thread the other day.

I don't know when the change was made, but as you have already noted, what you have is the parts in the last exploded view (pic 4 red circle). The keys are shot (pic 1).

The synchronizer sleeve (pic 1, right, outer) looks OK, but the other side would need a look. The usual trouble is the tips of the teeth. They should look like the roof of a house and they do. They can be pretty beat up and be fine, as long as they are still sort of pointy, not blunt or flat. If the other side meets all that, I would still look at the spots on the inside of it's bore/spline that act on the keys, and if there is no obvious damage, I would use it.

Are those 2 brass synchros (39 in pic 4) the the same part? One looks like it has a wider back face than the other (pic 1). The upper one is destroyed (pic 1). The lower one should be cleaned up, and tried with a drop of oil against the cone on the actual gear that it contacts in operation. If you push and turn it should grab or stop. If it does this and there is decent clearance between it and the face of the gear, it's fine.

The retainer wire (pic 1, right) with the double bump looks all wrong to me. I don't know for sure, but I think it has to be the wrong part. What is that double bump supposed to engage? I would expect the retainer wires, 2 of them, to have a tang at the end (pic 4 #37), and the tang to hook in a key. I would expect them to go opposite directions, but hook in the same key. From your exploded view (pic 4), maybe these go the same direction? Maybe they don't hook in a key? Either way, when assembled, the keys should not be trying to tilt in their slots.

Sorry I couldn't answer your actual question.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)