`1928 chrysler

1928 Chrysler brakes.  A while bake freinds were talking here about the brakes on a 28. I would like to rebuild mine and hoping that some one could tell me where to go. I have not tore anything down yet. maybe get new wheel and master cylinders and start over? Can anyone help me out?   Thanks  Roger

Hi Roger,

It will help if you specify what model your car is, as not all models used the same cylinders.

The chances of finding NEW wheel and master cylinders are slim at best, you will have to strip your brakes, hone the cylinders and then decide whether the old cylinders are useable as is or will need to be resleeved.

When stripping your wheel cylinders DO NOT try to knock or press the pistons thru from one side to the other, as there is a piston stop block in the middle. 

There has been several articles recently on these brakes which you can find using the search function.

Best thing to do is have yours re-sleeved. I use Brake & Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis. Replacements will be very hard to find and by using your own wheel cylinders, you are assured of having the right ones. Once sleeved, they will last a long time and it is a selling plus should you ever decide to sell the car. Do the master cylinder as well.

The 1920's Chrysler wheel cylinders all look the same but there are 9 different part numbers.

My 1928 model 52 had 1&1/16inch bore wheel cylinders with a 1&1/2 bore master cylinder, the brake drums from memory were 12inch diameter. According to the parts book the model 52 wheel cylinders do not fit other models.

My 1928 model 62 has 14inch brake drums, the wheel cylinders are much bigger with 1&1/4inch bore, master cylinder is 1&3/8 bore.

The 1926 model G70 I have has 14in brake drums, the master cylinder is 1&1/2 inch bore. It is an early G70's with 1&1/2 bore wheel cylinders with a multiple part piston.

The later 1927 G70's or finer 70, also had 14 inch drums and had 1&1/4 bore wheel cylinder with a one piece alloy piston, these cylinders are pretty much the same as the Chrysler 60 and 62.

You will need to strip the brakes to confirm what you need, as it is possible that parts from other models have been fitted over its lifespan.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks I guess I was getting the cart before the horse. In the near future (I hope) I will be getting on it and see about a wheel puller for the wood wheels.  Thanks  Roger