1931 Chevrolet Sports Coupe Oil Pan Removal

True

I bought a 1931 Chevrolet Sports Coupe that was restored over 40 years ago. I've been advised to drop the pan and clean the sludge. When I was inspecting prior to starting the job. It looks like I do not have access to the back screws on the pan. Should I be able to drop the pan with the engine installed, or does the engine need to be removed?  I'm pretty new and this and any other guidance on this job is appreciated. Thanks

You should have access to those by dropping the fly wheel cover first. There is a process for putting on the gasket that helps keep it from leaking. I followed the advice from the VCCA site guys and my 31 does not leak at the oil pan. https://vccachat.org/  You can search the site for many past questions on this and other topics.

You make 4 studs from 1/4 20 bolts to guide the pan. I use grease to stick the side gaskets on the engine first. The night before I have wrapped the end gaskets around a can with rubber bans so they take a circular shape and they go on next. Some have to be trimmed slightly to fit correctly. I use a small dab of gasket sealer where the ends meet the side gaskets. Then up with the pan. 

Good luck

Dave

• Like 3

Better get yourself a repair manual. There are other details to it. For example, your motor uses a spray type lubrication system and if you disturb or bend the sprayers they won't work. So be careful when you take the pan off. There is a procedure to aim the sprayers if they get knocked out of line but this is where the manual comes in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

You should have access to those by dropping the fly wheel cover first. There is a process for putting on the gasket that helps keep it from leaking. I followed the advice from the VCCA site guys and my 31 does not leak at the oil pan. https://vccachat.org/  You can search the site for many past questions on this and other topics.

You make 4 studs from 1/4 20 bolts to guide the pan. I use grease to stick the side gaskets on the engine first. The night before I have wrapped the end gaskets around a can with rubber bans so they take a circular shape and they go on next. Some have to be trimmed slightly to fit correctly. I use a small dab of gasket sealer where the ends meet the side gaskets. Then up with the pan. 

Good luck

Dave

Use the same process for installing Ford Model A pans. 

• Like 1

Good recommendation by Rusty on the manual. You can get them many places I got mine at The Filling Station. While the pan is off you can check the rod bearing clearances per the manual. You can also make sure the check ball in the rear main bearing is free to move or has been removed.

One other thing to do is note where the long pan bolts go through and hold the breather and another the oil line. Remove the nuts on them first.

Just thinking through things I wished I did the first time I removed the pan.

Have fun!

Dave

• Like 1

I gave you some bad advice. I just went under my 31 and dropping the flywheel cover won't help. I blame that on my memory! What I believe I used was a long screw driver to get at the bolts and get past the cross member. It looks like two on each side with be tough but not impossible. I had to drop mine about five times, ten years ago so I thought I would remember the process

Good luck

Dave

• Like 1