"Land Mine Gas Tank"

46 woodie

I just came across what was described as a very rare accessory for early Volkswagon's called a "Land Mine Gas Tank, made by a company called Quickly, Hammerich & Co. It's an accessory gas tank that fits into the spare tire rim and takes the place of the hubcap. I was told the reason they called it a Land Mine Tank is because it look's very similar to a WW II, land mine. It holds 8 liters of gas and has a brass cap and pull out spout. Its painted hammer-tone blue and was probably restored at one time. Anyone know anything about them, Im told they are very rare and desirable.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 11:40 AM, 46 woodie said:

I just came across what was described as a very rare accessory for early Volkswagon's called a "Land Mine Gas Tank, made by a company called Quickly, Hammerich & Co. It's an accessory gas tank that fits into the spare tire rim and takes the place of the hubcap. I was told the reason they called it a Land Mine Tank is because it look's very similar to a WW II, land mine. It holds 8 liters of gas and has a brass cap and pull out spout. Its painted hammer-tone blue and was probably restored at one time. Anyone know anything about them, Im told they are very rare and desirable.

Beetleimage.jpeg.44e321a66918045e4bb0cb0ba83fab1c.jpeg and for Type 181 image.jpeg.03ed9489c6a64841eb82b98b275574d7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Wow that is so cool, that would've come in handy in the 70's during the gasoline shortages in USA. Perhaps you could suggest that one of the Aftermarket VW companies make a replica and sell to those cross country travelers. 

• 4 months later...

Thank you to all that replied to my question. A gentleman in Colorado made the decal for me and it is a perfect match to the original that was applied to the tank.