Engine stalled when take off.

Buickboy58

Hi all,

on my 58, 364, the engine stall when I take off from a stop sign or traffic light. Yesterday, I went out for a drive and It started well, let it warm up a little then drove it until I stop at the traffic, the engine stalled when I was pressing the gas pedal, I restarted the motor and kept doing this every time I would stop for traffic light and even slowing down to almost stopping then re-accelerate, it wanted to stall if press the gas pedal.

I have a Quickfuel carb, 4b, 650 cfm, electric fuel pump, electronic ignition. New spark plugs and wires. It was running fine last fall when I put it away for the winter in my garage, and this happen when I wanted to put it back on the road. I did put some fuel stabilizer before I stored it. 

Any idea what could be the problem.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Buickboy58 said:

Hi all,

on my 58, 364, the engine stall when I take off from a stop sign or traffic light. Yesterday, I went out for a drive and It started well, let it warm up a little then drove it until I stop at the traffic, the engine stalled when I was pressing the gas pedal, I restarted the motor and kept doing this every time I would stop for traffic light and even slowing down to almost stopping then re-accelerate, it wanted to stall if press the gas pedal.

I have a Quickfuel carb, 4b, 650 cfm, electric fuel pump, electronic ignition. New spark plugs and wires. It was running fine last fall when I put it away for the winter in my garage, and this happen when I wanted to put it back on the road. I did put some fuel stabilizer before I stored it. 

Any idea what could be the problem.

Thanks

Yesterday It's started, but this morning no luck, it wouldn't start at all. The engine is just cranking.

Need to determine the idle rpm with a tachometer to make sure where things are.

Condition of spark plugs? Gap? Points? And especially the coil?

The accel pump can be checked on the engine, no disassembly required.  Remove the air cleaner and move the throttle linkage and look for the "shot" from the nozzle in the center of the primary throttle bores, upstream from the venturi cluster.  The Holley pumps are very responsive to throttle movement.

NTX5467

Thanks, I found out what was the problem, I have a Cool Carb plate that cut the heat from going under the carb and create vapor lock. I had it installed right on top of the adapter spacer over the intake but I move it up last weekend just under the carb I notice that it was just under the accelerator pump but didn't realize that there is a lever underneath that need to move, well it wasn't moving at all because it was touching the Cool Carb plate, so I removed the carb, the plate and made a slot inside to free the lever and it fix the problem. Thanks for your input. 

IMG_7879.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3