1973 Riviera - Burnt Coral Color Help

Nygex

Hello,

We have a 73 Riviera and want to paint it Burnt Coral but having a hard time finding it in any databases.  We've tried PPG, Spies Hecker, Duxone, and a couple others but can't find it.  I know it's a very specific color.  Does anyone have the "recipe" for this paint color with brand used?  Just to clarify, we have all the codes, it's just that none of the brands have it in their system here (we're in Bahrain).

Thanks

It was  available when i lived in  California----Ditzler PPG  is---2557   Dupont  is 5554

For memory i used Sherwin  Williams  auto paint     was 5225.

A photo of  my 73  Burt Orange Riviera  ,  in  lake Tahoe,  i sold it in  1992

for the movie---forces of nature--- Ben Affleck--Sandra ?----was only  in the movie for about 2 minutes.

P1100504.JPG

• Like 1

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

They have the paint in any type and size of container from a touchup pen to gallons. I bought a small brush-in-bottle touchup a few years back and it was an exact match as has been anything else I have got from them.

Paint codes probably won't help much anyway as color additives have chemically changed so drastically over the years that mixing to an older code won't get the result you want.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  Yeah, we're having a hard time, especially since we only have pictures to go by - nothing we can scan.  The only paint we don't have available here is the Sherwin Williams.  PPG has all the 1972 and 73 colors but not the 73 Burnt Coral for some reason.  I'm learning that it was exclusive to the 73 Riviera.  Now I'm kicking myself because I'm the one who convinced the customer to go with that color.  :)

If you are able to buy an original Buick color chip chart like this, https://www.ebay.com/itm/313442074597?hash=item48fa9a7fe5:g:hQkAAOSw7tBgQPyR  your Sherwin Williams automotive paint supply shop should be able to scan and match the chip if they have modern paint scanners. The scan will produce a formula close and then trial and error test sprays will need done to dial it in for a perfect match.

The Sherwin Williams stores common in every town USA do not carry or support their automotive paint line. The automotive division suppliers are mainly wholesale to body shops.    

I am not sure if Automotivetouchup.com can ship to Bahrain but if they do that may be your best option.

Burnt Coral is an awesome color. It will be worth the effort

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)