1930 Pontiac split head engine distributor problems

rossatisola

Either a press fit of cam on shaft or some form of mechanical tightening.  Can you find an illustration of the parts book distributor page via Pontiac club or Mr. Google?  Look for posters in Pontiac forum who have split head cars and ask them.

• Like 1

Afterthoughts:

* Do you have an owner's manual?  If so, under the ignition section does it mention moving the cam?  That would indicate the screw fastening system, and might have an illustration depicting how the cam is secured to the distributor shaft.

* has this car run under your ownership?  Or did you acquire it non-running?

• Like 1

I would expect it to be driven by pins and acted on by springs and weights, with no easy way to come completely undone. Are you sure the shaft is turning? I looked in my parts book, and the distributor is Delco 639-U, or at least that is what Pontiac was supplying as a replacement for a 1930 six when my parts book was published in 1937. Unfortunately the exploded view in my book is of a much newer model.

Maybe @32Pontiac6 will know something.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

5 hours ago, rossatisola said:

Timer cam is not rotating with distributor shaft.It is not secured to the distributor shaft.how is it supposed to be attached

I assume it is a Delco-Remy 639-U distributor. It is a very simple construction. Once you removed the breaker plate you can see the automatic advance mechanism ( advance weights, springs and cam). When you remove the two springs you can just pull the cam. It is not secured with a screw.

DC9C8F34-2E4F-40F3-A405-2DBFFD485135.jpeg

CC5104DA-7B7E-4A61-A1EF-6B655B371368.jpeg

2F86FD30-1A2D-4757-8449-0B5515DAC483.jpeg

199BCF74-BA5E-409B-86A8-1EFB79068472.jpeg

• Like 1

@rossatisola

@Peter R.

@Bloo

Peter R's post shows how it goes together.  I am not exactly sure what is going on here.  Just know that the gear at the bottom of the distributor has a pin that could shear off and keep the distributor shaft from turning.  Not sure from you original post if that is the problem.  The Oakland Service Manual does show advance vs. RPM for this distributor, too.

Also, the data provided is very helpful because it shows interchangeability of cam and other parts with different model Delco distributors.

Let us know what you find.

Edited by 32Pontiac6 (see edit history)
  • Like 2