Trophy from a Nineteen's automobile race?

David McLean

My father was an avid collector of antique cars and automobilia. I grew up with the bronze in the attached photo and it has been in our family since about 1963 or earlier. It was signed by a French sculptor. Family lore has it that it was a test pull before the final bronze was created as a trophy top. I can't validate this, but perhaps you may know more than me. 

20180116_194436.jpg

20180116_194447.jpg

20180116_203955.jpg

20180116_204010.jpg

20180116_204018.jpg

• Like 3

Need to see the bottom. It’s not a trophy. It’s a bronze or spelter artwork. Looks like a mid grade casting at best. Post a few photos of the bottom, and we can give you an Idea to desirability and value. It could just be a decorator item……….also, size measurements and total weight.

The car would date to around 1906-1909 +/- to my eye, it’s not to perfect scale……more of a stylized piece. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting that photo David. I'm one of a number of collectors of early automobilia who would love to find one of these someday! 

Your bronze is really a great piece. It was done in 1904 in Austria as a commemorative piece depicting the Baron De Caters, a Belgian aristocrat who stalled his chain-drive Mercedes at the start of the 1904 Gordon Bennett race.  I've been fascinated with the Gordon Bennett races for many years, and did a presentation on early French city-to-city races a few years ago at the AACA Annual Convention in Philadelphia.

It is not known how many of these Bronze sculptures were produced.  The artist was C. Philipp and his signature should be on the base somewhere.

These were desk pieces usually purchased by those associated with the events.  The originals of course are bronze, and from the detail in yours I'm pretty sure it's authentic.  Some later recasts were commercially available but they were done in spelter as Ed suggests.  Those were available for early auto enthusiasts to purchase. 

There is some speculation that a later rendition of it was done as an award for a British race in the 1920s but I'm unable to find any information about that.  It certainly was not a trophy top.

Some detail and a photo of one is in the book "The Motor Car In Art" featuring items from the legenday Ray Holland automotive art collection. 

Your father must have been quite a collector. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That’s a pretty good answer! Collecting some photos of others would go a long way in figuring out if this is an early piece, or a later casting……….usually artist controlled pieces are much more collectible than later castings……and the value follows suit. 

Terry, look close, you can see the signature…..and a foundry mark on it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Yes, I can see the signature and foundry mark on closer examination.  Sure would like to see photos from the underside.  I'm pretty sure it's an original bronze though.  Lots of great detail on this that was usually lost in spelter recasts.  Measurements and weight would tell a lot too.  It may also have indications that it was mounted on separate slab of marble.  Can you imagine the original owner and who it might have been?   I can remember seeing things like this in some of the London street markets back in the 70s.  Wish I'd had a bit more "pocket change" at the time.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I've included more detailed pictures, including the bottom of the bronze. The whole piece feels slightly less than 30 lbs.  I've included a close up of the foundry mark and the artist's name. What would something like this be worth?

Davidlawrencemclean@gmail.com

20220424_155753.jpg.d063be624df798d7d46668a29ccff1f9.jpg20220424_155740.jpg.8016f97f8cc1aa65074d340bbed8f925.jpg20220424_155712.jpg.9d787bba8aaf09192cb5f179c79f9077.jpg20220424_155658.jpg.3b42c1d1c095bd53870905da9f9c971d.jpg20220424_155650.jpg.78afa9932bf701907415762fbbdcc9d6.jpg20220424_155625.jpg.15ccd1d01badf1d8087f48735ef7d73d.jpg20220424_155558.jpg.95251248fdd3a948973880d08071fa2b.jpg20220424_155804.jpg.1a9d1e5bc4a70d20f088d701dc3f1544.jpg

On 4/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, Terry Bond said:

Terry thanks for all of this information. I know that my father picked it up when he went to France to pick up our Bugatti in early 1960s. I've attached more photos in this thread. My opinion is that this piece really needs to go to the next custodian. Please also see my post on the Peter Helck that my father commissioned. 

Thanks for the photos David. It shows the detaill that I think helps clearly identify it as the real thing and not a later recast. Let me do some research to help determine approximate value.  I'll send a pm to you with the info. 

Terry

30 pounds certainly makes it bronze. Value is very subjective based on all the standard categories…..patina, subject matter, ect.  Probably was more valuable years ago when Intrest in early racing was fifty times more fashionable. Demand is probably much higher in Europe than it would be here. Best guess is it’s more valued as a decorator item than a car collector item. Today’s young people have very poor taste and little or no Intrest in most things historic. It’s probably a case of finding the right buyer, as a dealer would probably pay very little for it. Many of my great car collectibles were sold off years ago while the market was still reasonably hot. Today I would call it very soft. I find I rather keep my stuff than give it away. Ed

• Like 2

Seems to me you would like to see this special collectible of your Dad's go to someone who will not only highly appreciate it, but keep it in a special place and ensure it's history is shared with like minded people. So Terry Bond may be just that guy, sounds like no risk of him flipping it.

Reminds me of a friend who has a series of very nice mid-20's Star automobiles. He became friends with an old gent in Florida while spending the winters there. The old gent had a lovely Star Roadster he had owned for years, which my friend helped him keep roadworthy. One spring as my friend closed up for the trip back home, the old gent came by and told him he wanted him to have the Star, he wanted someone who could take good care of it. After initially resisting the free offer, the old gent convinced him it was the only wish he had. So my friend went home, travelled back to Florida with a trailer and brought it back. I'm sure the old gent is tickled pink. Value in some cases is much more than monetary.

• Like 7

David, I've done some additional research on your bronze figurine and will be sending you a private message through this site.  Thanks again for posting additional photos.  Would really enjoy learning more about your Father.  Sure sounds like a neat guy.

Terry

• Like 1