Model 06h carburetor

46 Lincoln EFN

Hello all ,

as you know one problem has many different angles . 
Ignoring compression for now ,

The symptoms , black plugs on cylinders 

1, 3,5, 7, 9, 11  clean  plugs on 2,4,6,8,10,12 

note: plugs are new and car has only Idled for an hour or so-ish totally since they were installed. 
Seeing the carbon build up on only one side , An Idea was brought up that this carburetor has independent adjustments for richness / lean ness for each side of the engine

My question is , on the stock Carburetor 06h , is there independent adjustment for each side of the engine ? 
or could this be a Distributor problem? 
It could be something else but I gotta start some where . 

Thanks all !! 
Everett 

Edited by 46 Lincoln EFN (see edit history)

Everett, I don't remember which cylinders are fed by each side of the carburetor on the V-12, so I cannot give you a definite answer.

The coil only feeds one bank and weak spark can cause spark plug fouling. I would pull a plug wire from each bank and check the spark with a worm engine by holding the wire near a head nut. Compare the 2 sides, they should be blue in color and about 1/2" long. Orange color indicates a weak spark.

I would also set your mixture screws using this procedure:

Lightly seat both screws and then back them off 5/8 of a turn

Start the engine, set the idle speed to 350 rpm and observe the vacuum gauge.

Turn 1 screw IN 1/8 of a turn

If the vacuum increases, turn the other screw IN 1/8 of a turn and repeat previous step until vacuum decreases, then back off the last adjustment.

If the vacuum decreases, go to next step.

Turn screw OUT 1/8 turn past initial setting.

If vacuum increases, turn the other screw OUT 1/8 turn and repeat the above step until vacuum decreases, then back off the last adjustment.

If idle speed increases beyond 400 rpm during this operation reset it to 350 rpm.

Turning both screws 1/8 turn at a time keeps the idle circuit balanced.

Another test that you can do is pull the throttle out until the engine is running about 1,200 rpm. Check you vacuum gauge reading and then turn one of the idle adjustment screws in about 1/4 turn. If the vacuum increases the main jet is running rich, if there is no change, try turning the screw out 1/4 turn past the original setting. If vacuum increases, the main jet is lean.

• 1 year later...

Haven't been on LZOC in quite a while. Just take the Zephyr out for a spin every month or so and everything still works, so no reason to. Thankfully I have an Earl Brown-built distributor in reserve. But Tom, I am curious what you use to read RPM and how you connect it.

Dave

1941 Zephyr Sedan (in family since new)

1969 Saab 96 V4

1973 Sonett V4