Wheeler-Schebler Model FA Carburetor

in2antiques

Hi, I have a Wheeler-Schebler Model FA carburetor on my 1912 Brush. Although it’s not original to the car I know they usedvthem on model T Ford’s (which I also have) so I’m looking for help in this forum.

The car doesn’t run well past an idle.  I saw there are two adjustments on the top of the carb and believe one is adjusted for high speed or fast idle. I could play with the adjustments but was hoping somebody could tell me which adjustment of the two adjustments is which. Below is a picture I found online of one identical to the one on my car.

I also found a little information on the following site:  http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/74692.html?1228737946

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

3E50F0FB-0BF4-4D44-A2E7-8E7E25754059.png

The Schebler type FA carburetor was strictly aftermarket, never used as original equipment on anything.

Three different models of type FA were sold: Ford, Metz, and Overland.

The knob closest to the throttle arm is the idle adjustment, initial setting one and one-quarter turns from lightly seated.

The other knob is the high speed, initial setting four to five turns.

The carburetor was produced approximately 1919~1925. It was discontinued by 1927. The aftermarket catalog was printed every other year.

And while I do have a bill-of-material, ALL parts in this carburetor are unique to the type FA; thus no parts are available (other than from the drug store.....Bayer).

Schebler suggested several special tools, available only from Schebler; including a facing tool for the non-removable float valve seat, a guide for the facing tool, and a couple of reamers.

Good luck!

Jon.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jon,

Thank you!  I really appreciate your very fast reply to this post. It’s hard to find information at times and it’s great to have some experts like you to provide assistance.  The brush is supposed to have a five ball carburetor, but I know this particular one has been on the car since at least 1959.

Again, thank you,

Dave

Is the carburetor in the picture the one on the car? The one shown is a FAX with economizer valve, the FA does not have that valve.  On both styles, the adjustment on the carb body as said, is the idle adjustment. The other is the high-speed adjustment. With the Model T, I adjust the idle to where it runs best. For the high speed, I start with the base adjustment as suggested, then test drive the car, if it stumbles on acceleration, open it a bit more till the car does not stumble on acceleration. The economizer allows for a controlled richer mixture on cold start up then can gradually be decreased as the car warms up or can be used under a hard pull when more fuel is needed. Anyway, that is how I run my FAX. The FA is setup about the same but just uses the choke to prime the engine and is a set-it and leave-it type carburetor. I have the run both styles on my T. 

If you are having running issues, could need the passageways cleaned or filter under bowl is partly plugged or the high-speed needle needs adjusting. It could also be running too rich and is flooding the engine. Try doing the base line adjustments as posted and go from there. From a Weeler-Schebler fan, amongst the other I go back and forth playing with as the mood strikes on my Model T. :) You could try also doing a search on same T forum: mtfca; Wheeler Schebler, which you may have done. There have been lots of post over the years, some of which I have asked questions or contributed to. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply.  I’m learning quite a bit about this carburetor on my vehicle. I’d not driven my Brush in 8 years, and had forgotten that applying the brake pedal also engaged the clutch and applied the brake.  As it turns out, my brake pedal was slightly depressed, significantly limiting my speed. That’s been corrected, and I made some minor adjustments to the carburetor and it seems to be running fine now. 

i’m always thankful for this forum though, as it’s a fantastic source for expert information. 

Again, thanks!

Dave