Temporary trading idea - old car trade for a day

Buick35

I took a 1940 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe to a local car show a few years ago. It was an AACA Senior, CCCA Senior and CLC Senior winner. A couple kept walking around the car while I was checking out the other cars. When I returned to my Cadillac they asked if it was mine. I said yes and they asked if they could borrow it for a wedding. I said no my insurance will not allow me to do that. They replied that they had already sent photos of the car to their daughter and she wanted to use it. I said I just can't do it and walked away. The man found me a few minutes later and said he really wanted to use the car and would be willing to pay me. I humored him and asked how much? He replied $50. I jokingly asked if I could have some cake at the reception. He said oh no, I didn't need to come to the wedding. He would pick up the car the day before so he and his wife could use it for the night and bring it back the day after the wedding. I declined his offer. He then asked if he could just buy the car. I asked what he was offering. He thought and said " I know I am probably overpaying but I will go as high as $5000. I explained the Cadillac was worth a little bit more to me, told him to have a good day and went back to looking at cars.

The point, if you loan a car to someone who doesn't understand what they are taking care of...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess my problem is all my cars are old.  They all have little quirks like this one the gas gauge is not accurate, or that one the door sticks, the speedometer is 5mph slow, you get the idea, little stuff that separate it from a standard rental car.  Most people just think the cars are utility items to transport them, and have no idea how they work, any brass car would be 10X.  The newer the car the easier they are to drive.

I say require manual spark advance on new cars, 50% of people would not be able to start their car...I am probably being generous.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I took a 1940 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe to a local car show a few years ago. It was an AACA Senior, CCCA Senior and CLC Senior winner. A couple kept walking around the car while I was checking out the other cars. When I returned to my Cadillac they asked if it was mine. I said yes and they asked if they could borrow it for a wedding. I said no my insurance will not allow me to do that. They replied that they had already sent photos of the car to their daughter and she wanted to use it. I said I just can't do it and walked away. The man found me a few minutes later and said he really wanted to use the car and would be willing to pay me. I humored him and asked how much? He replied $50. I jokingly asked if I could have some cake at the reception. He said oh no, I didn't need to come to the wedding. He would pick up the car the day before so he and his wife could use it for the night and bring it back the day after the wedding. I declined his offer. He then asked if he could just buy the car. I asked what he was offering. He thought and said " I know I am probably overpaying but I will go as high as $5000. I explained the Cadillac was worth a little bit more to me, told him to have a good day and went back to looking at cars.

The point, if you loan a car to someone who doesn't understand what they are taking care of...

His offers would have been quite generous if this conversation had taken place in 1960.

9 hours ago, Graham Man said:

I say require manual spark advance on new cars, 50% of people would not be able to start their car...I am probably being generous.

On a crank car, just leave the spark advance at full advance when you turn the car off.  For the unknowing, they might get the opportunity to acquire a "Ford Fracture"

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/99395.html?1248479847

• Like 1