1967 Riviera Cold Air Vent

TedG

New purchase last weekend of a 1967 Riviera. Nice survivor car and happy to have it!  Cold day and noted the driver side air vent will not close. The control on the lower left pulls in and out but the flap apparently remains open. Any hints on how to access it and probable cause? Thanks!!

Thanks Joe. Just what I had hoped for! Hope it's a simple as the control cable becoming uncoupled. Will follow your advice on the Service manual acquisition. She is a totally original example with a low 58,000 miles on the clock. Looks and drives as new! Very lucky to find her. 

To clarify when using Joe's illustration, your Riviera is an "E" body and the GM body style is 49487- 4=Buick, 94=Riviera (and Toronado), 87= two door hardtop coupe.

Also grab the 1967 Buick factory Chassis Service Manual. An original print hardcopy if at all possible; reprints and especially CD copies lose a lot of detail.

Unusual to see a Riviera without airconditioning. When I first read your post I thought you were asking about the A/C dash vent.

Hope it's as simple as an unhooked cable. Have fun getting at it with the parking brake in the way!

The rubber seal can be replaced also. Might be available from vendor of Buick parts (Bob's, Cars, Fusic etc) or some sheet rubber of similar thickness and durometer.  Drill out the rivets, remove old rubber, place new rubber on plates, hold together and make holes for new rivets.

• Like 1