Proper jacking methods so all wheels are off the ground

Hello all , 

I apologize for the simple question, and explaining myself is not a strong suit so please bare with me ,

My 1946 Lincoln sedan needs brakes/ master cylinder.  
I would like to put the car on 4 jack stands to remove all the tires ect 

I noticed the manual states for front tire removal use the front bumper , I’ve also read that can damage the lower grill .

I’ve jacked the car by the frame right behind the front tire seemingly at the strong point , to do an oil change, but the front wheel did not come off the ground, and it seemed to lift the entire right side (both front and back tires  ) 

So to get to the point , Can I jack up the car one side at a time using the middle cross member ? If not what is the best method.  
Thank you, 

Everett 

C ,

Thanks

, I would imagine then starting at the rear, one side at a time ?  Or is there a way to get both rear wheels / axil high enough to put both jack stand in place at once . I currently own a standard  4 ton plus rolling jack 
As you must know it’s a big heavy car. I don't want to damage anything or injure my self or worse.      I’ll prolly end up putting secondary jack stands in  Place for piece of mind  

Thank you, 

Everett 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

finally jacking the car up.  
i jacked it up from the rear pumpkin, one wheel was off the ground two inches the other was not off the ground .   Placing the jacks Equally away from the pumpkin and lowering car onto them they Equaled out. but with 4 wheels off the ground the Passenger side is equally 1 inch higher than the driver side. 

Could this indicate a warped frame?   The jack stands are at Equal Heights and Equal dimensions away from the pumpkin and front axil set up is the same.  
Thinking about it Mabey its just bad shock Absorbers or something as simple as that
Thanks !

Everett 

Edited by 46 Lincoln EFN (see edit history)

If you have this condition when the car is on all four wheels, it is most likely weak springs. It could also be frozen shock absorbers. I would not pay much attention to height differences when the car is on jack stands. I also would not worry much about 1" difference.

• Thanks 1

IF I remember correctly, one should always support the front and rear axles (NOT lift by the frame) because of the way the suspension is attached to the frame i.e central rubber mounting.  Lifting by the frame will have the suspension "hanging" from the rubber mounting points and could cause damage.  JMHO

• Thanks 1