Harley-Davidson in New Zealand. Date?

nzcarnerd

4 hours ago, dustycrusty said:

Yes, a late teensHD, either an "F" (single) or a "J" (twin), post 1916 (the slightly rounded tank), pre-1920 (Acetylene light).

Actually, I think both the F and J models were 60 cu in twins.  If I recall correctly the F model was magneto/acetylene (even into the mid twenties) and the J model was battery/electric.  At some point (maybe 1920?) they lengthened the front fork legs so that stick up above the bars as in the photo in question.  So I'd suggest it's 1920 - 1924.  In the 1925 they changed the style of the tank and frame.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PFindlay said:

Actually, I think both the F and J models were 60 cu in twins.  If I recall correctly the F model was magneto/acetylene (even into the mid twenties) and the J model was battery/electric.  At some point (maybe 1920?) they lengthened the front fork legs so that stick up above the bars as in the photo in question.  So I'd suggest it's 1920 - 1924.  In the 1925 they changed the style of the tank and frame.

You are right. The singles were the "B" and "C" models

On 2/24/2022 at 5:17 PM, dustycrusty said:

Yes, a late teensHD, either an "F" (single) or a "J" (twin), post 1916 (the slightly rounded tank), pre-1920 (Acetylene light).

I have  an electric head light like this one. At one time I had a horn like the one on the bike, awful sounding thing.

5 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I have  an electric head light like this one. At one time I had a horn like the one on the bike, awful sounding thing.

I guess with that type of horn you have to have a hand free to be able to hit it? Tough if both hands are already busy with trying to avoid something.