Metallurgique 1923 - Help Finding Chassis Number

MichelleP

I am wondering if anyone can assist with the likely location to start looking for the Chassis number on a Metallurgique 1923?

Two competent blokes have had a first crack at trying to find it and no luck so far. Would be grateful if anyone with a similar car has some advice. 

This should be what you should be looking for. This was attached to a 1923 Metallurgique sold in Australia in 2016. I don't know where it was located on the car, but it appears to be in plain sight somewhere. It could be that it is missing on your car, but maybe you can find the empty screw holes on the frame or the chassis where it was originally located.     Good Luck!

Here is the old website for the sale of this car:

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=175116&country=auebay147096293365019.jpg

ebay147096293170048.jpg

Hi ff jones.  Thanks we have located this plate. But we have been told there should also be numbers stamped somewhere on the chassis as well. Are you aware whether it should it have numbers stamped on the chassis as well?

thanks and regards

michelle

IMG_4399 (1).jpg

Sorry, but I am unaware of stamped numbers on the chassis.

If this identification plate is riveted to the chassis, I would think that a stamped number in another location would be somewhat redundant, but I would not be surprised if you did find one. The factory must have had a reason to have both. Please let us know if you do locate the numbers on the chassis and if they match those on the riveted plate.

• Like 1

Thats very interesting - the assumption was that there must be other numbers on the chasis etc that match the riveted plate - and that is what it really what I am asking. Is do other people with Metallurgiques have experience of finding additional numbers that match those on the riveted plate.

Thankyou again for replying.

Michelle

Maybe check one of the pre war auto reference guides for Australian made cars. 

In the US we have similar period reference books for pre-war vehicles called Branaham Auto Reference Book and Pacific Red Book that were great sources back in the day. All of these say where the frame number can be found for each manufacturer. I checked but found no  Metallurgigues listed.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are no numbers stamped on the chassis.  The only numbers are the chassis number stamped on the Metallurgique plate and the number that is stamped on the engine.  A few photos I have seen show the plate fixed to the firewall, mine is fixed to the battery box.

P1030372 (1).JPG

P1030371.JPG

• Like 3

I should be able to get a Telephone number for Lindsay Vinen.  His father was a long time friend, who could probably count the Meallurgiques he had on the fingers of both hands,; and those included at least two cars dating earlier than WW1.   Decades ago Barry brought to me the rear hubs of a little earl English 2 cylinder Perry car.  He wanted me to rebuild the brake drums with a Metco coating called  Spraysteel LS, which is applied with a "gun " which feeds the wire stock through an oxy-acetylene flame by a little air turbine motor whereby the exhaust air propells the molten steel particles onto the job. The material is a machineable work-hardening carbon steel with 7% Molybdenum content. I was reluctant because the drums had worn till you could see daylight through them.  Nearly 10 years later I saw Barry at our national Bendigo Swap. He told met they ad taken the rear axle of the Perry apart for some reason, and the rebuild brakes were perfect.  He said that the Perry is the only car in the Veteran Car club whose brakes with cast iron linings work perfectly.   I said "Barry, you told me that you were going to use modern brake linings."   "He said yes.   We used modern Cast iron!"   I have wasted a lot of typing time.  But Lindsay will be able to confirm what you now already know.

• Like 1

Hi David - It is a 1924 one that used to belong to WH Lowe. It currently is very much a project I have included the original newspaper photo and a couple of photos front on now. This is not its original body - which was given away by the previous owner just on 40 years ago.

Thankyou very much for your replies.  I love your car it looks fantastic. Sorry for my slow reply.

WHLOWEMetal.png

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, Michelle.

Sorry for finding this so late. Perhaps I can offer a little history regarding your car. 

In 1967 it was sold by R L Twentyman of Northcote in Vic, along with my own car, chassis number 5191, to Ron Davis of Ringwood, for the sum of $350 for the pair. (I have the receipt for that sale). It seems Mr Davis sold off chassis number 5949, and dismantled #5191. After his death in 2016 I acquired the remains of #5191, which I have subsequently restored. I believe I have utilised one or two minor parts of #5949 in the restoration.

My research shows me that the chassis number of the Grand Prix entrant was 5945, engine #5949. The numbers on your car are reversed, but it may possibly be the Grand Prix car of W H Lowe. The engine numbers generally ran ahead of the chassis numbers with these cars, but yours may be an exception. 5949 should be a late car of the 'shaft driven OHC with magneto' type engine, possibly late 1925 or early 1926.

I assume that you purchased it from Neil Kelly, whom I spoke with when he offered it for sale through 'Brass Notes'. It was later offered for sale on Facebook. Good luck with the restoration, if that is your intention.

Mick Peart

• Like 1