35 Buick inside door frame question.

Buick35

Hi,When replacing my door glass,after removing the door panel in the lower left corner inside the door there's a wooden block with two wood screws going through it that's loose and not attached to anything.It's about 2and1/2" by 1 and1/2 and I can't see where out a supposed to attach. Also the long screw that goes diagonally from the upper right to the lower left side just sits in a bottom hole,should it be secured with a tube nut?Thanks.Greg.

That long screw is the door stiffener rod, sounds like the piece of wood with a metal bracket that the rod attaches to, has came loose(wood rot), this attaches to the backside of the lower horizontal board at the bottom of the door. Picture shows what you should have, the long screw, brass barrel nut, and metal bracket that attaches to backside of bottom door board. I may have an old board with the wood piece attached, will check and post picture.

DSCN5903.JPG

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:05 PM, pont35cpe said:

That long screw is the door stiffener rod, sounds like the piece of wood with a metal bracket that the rod attaches to, has came loose(wood rot), this attaches to the backside of the lower horizontal board at the bottom of the door. Picture shows what you should have, the long screw, brass barrel nut, and metal bracket that attaches to backside of bottom door board. I may have an old board with the wood piece attached, will check and post picture.

DSCN5903.JPG

Here's a picture of my mysterious wood block that I can't see where it goes.Thanks

IMG_20220221_140140_burst_01.jpg

Edited by Buick35
Remove second picture. (see edit history)

Here are some pictures of the lower driver side door of my 1934 model 46 before it was restored.  Perhaps they can help you locate where your loose piece of wood goes.  It might be the rear stop for the window when it is rolled down as shown in my picture.  You can see how the stiffener rod is installed.  There is no metal backing plate  for it in my 34 m46 as shown in a previous picture.  1934 was the first year the stiffener rod was used.   P1010037.JPG.e538d9810bcd8bbbc3fe399d990c7638.JPGP1010040.JPG.5844b1e4a450509d0dc65096d77016f1.JPGP1010041.JPG.36b3a990592d60a4649d3a958de25139.JPGP1010042.JPG.ce5e4bcdbc0c8a1128fced96087b1ac8.JPG

• Like 1

If you look carefully in the picture there is a rubber pad cushion about 1/4 of an inch thick mounted on top of the wooden block.  Mine just had a small nail in it to hold it in place.  There is a pad on the other side also.