Electric Fans and Fuel Economy

----

Just wondering if anyone has replaced their belt driven fan with an electric and noticed any mesurable gains in fuel economy. I've seen claims of "up to" 15%, but want to know the real deal. Seems too easy of a way to gain 2 miles/gallon. confused.gif" border="0

as far as that going its not worth to install the gains are barely noticable and you have to find a electric fan that is able to support your engine which then can be hard to find just installing an electric fan isn't going to work you have to find one that will cool your engine and not many V8s have an electric fan unless their dragsters and even then you see them only race 2-4 times a day i suggest that you don't invest your money into a fan that may not even work for you. maybe if you wan the added fuel economy try a petronic dist. they a proven track record hope this helps if post a repley and i'll get back tp you

Car Craft did a story where they measured horsepower with different fans. Compared to a stock non-clutch fan they made something like 38 more hp. I believe the rest broke down like this<BR>2. Clutch fan<BR>3. Heavy duty clutch fan<BR>4. flex fan <BR>5. stock non-clutch fan<P>I think the clutch fan made about 5 horse less than the electric fan so I don't think there is much economy to be gained there.

38 more hp is a good jump for free! My 1960 364 only makes 210, getting that extra power would certainly knock down the amount of throttle I'd need (especially on the highway, where a fan is useless anyway). <P>I get a reliable 17 highway mpg out of my '60 LeSabre, which has the optional low-compression "economy" motor and the twin-turbine dynaflow. I'd say with the extra 38 hp, and extra 2 mpg sounds about right! smile.gif" border="0

I have a thermostatically controlled electric fan on my 37 Buick with a 455 and it cools it quite nicely. The fan only runs in traffic ,or when I stop. I don't know if helps the mileage or not but I have been pulling 18 on the highway with the AC going. wink.gif" border="0

My father, when "babysitting" my 70 Electra, installed a "parade fan" on the radiator to help cool it. This yurned out to be a workaround when it really needed a new fan clutch and to have the cooling system cleaned out.<BR>Anyway, it wasn't truly effective, and really made a mess of my radiator fins. I had to saw it off after the bolts rusted in place.<BR>I'm glad that it's gone! rolleyes.gif" border="0