Vintage BC Highway Run - 1966

dmfconsult

The Provincial Ministry of Transportation puts out these videos from time to time from shots taken while traveling some of the roads in the 60's.  This particular video is a portion of the "Sea to Sky" highway that runs from Vancouver up to Whistler, BC from 1966 and generally runs along the ocean to a town called Squamish before going inland to Whistler.  This was (and is) a very treacherous stretch of highway with many rockslides and washouts over the years given the terrain.  It has improved a lot since this film, but it remains one of my favorite trips to run with the top down on the Electra, particularly if I have visitors from out of town.  I have found at least one buick, a B-59, near the end of the video and I'm sure I saw a few others heading the other way.  Enjoy!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are right about that JD there are no other roads there… as it is, that one is mostly cut into the side of the mountains.  If the road is closed, which happens often for accidents or weather, you are stuck.  You either have to turnaround or take the long way around detour that takes about 5 hours on a good day. 

if you and your lovely wife ever make it out this way, I’ll take you up that way!

765046AD-C557-4689-B8ED-F9195B995B0D.png.38a0a0f1c81daf89b95da0b9a1016a1a.png

• Like 1