AAA Automatic Petrol Saver and Air Brake - as used on a 23-4-35 Buick

AussieBuick

Hmmm, it would be interesting to know what that valve actually does in each position.  From the description above it sounds to me like "ON" = "OFF" (gas flows) and "BRAKE" shuts-off the fuel supply?  So, the car is coasting down hill with the engine off?  It doesn't say above, but I guess you'd have to turn the valve back to "ON" to allow the engine to restart before the car stops moving...  :wacko:

Doesn't sound at all 'automatic' and the fuel saved would seem to be minuscule.

• Like 1

Interestingly, my '24 6-55 sport tourer has one fitted as well.

I have already restored the dash unit and plan to attempt to get the unit operational again.

I know. Is it worth it ?

I am more curious to see just to see what it does or does not do. 🙃

From what i can gather, the "brake" part of the unit, starves the engine of fuel and in turn the engine acts like an engine brake on a truck ! 🤔

Unfortunately, the 3/4 inch rubber hoses were perished on the engine compartment side of the firewall and there are no obvious fittings on the engine to indicate what they attached too.

So, if anyone has any further information out there (operating or fitting instructions) iwould be pleased to get a copy.

I have seen numerous petrol savers at swap meets over the years, so they must have been reasonably "popular" aftermarket accessory.

Trying to upload an exploded photo of the head unit, but i keep on getting an error. If i succeed i will post again.

David.

20121125_181513.jpg