Oil or grease

rjp

A lot more of it got done than gets done today. Gas stations with grease bays were in every town, and by the late 20s on almost every corner. I think it was expected by those owners who did their own maintenance that there would be some stuff to do every Saturday. People also drove less, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Hitting all those points should be the first thing you do on any old car you acquire and intend to drive anywhere. It takes more time than you would expect.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bloo said:

Hitting all those points should be the first thing you do on any old car you acquire and intend to drive anywhere. It takes more time than you would expect.

And make sure they are not plugged up with grime which will stop the lubricant from getting where it should. I've seen many worn components because no one took the time to unplug the pathways. The engine I'm working on right now had an oil cup feeding the distributor drive gear and support - totally plugged for years and lots of wear. Also, make sure the grease cups have something in them and the oil cups typically had a little felt in the bottom to allow the oil to work its way out over time.

• Like 1