Clutch Finger Adjustment Specs for a 1930 Studebaker?

richard m

Does anyone have a manual that gives the correct specs for clutch finger height on the pressure plate for a 1930 Studebaker Dictator Six? The fingers are normally set by the manufacturer or rebuilder, but if they need adjustment, there is a spec for this adjustment.  Thanks for any help you may have.   Richard

Yes, this is a Long clutch and pressure plate, but single disk type.  I had the disk re-faced by Ft. Wayne Clutch and Driveline (they did a great job!), and my pressure plate is a rebuilt unit.  However, I had to switch out the fingers from my old pressure plate so now need to adjust them back to correct height.  Normally this adjustment is made at the factory or rebuilder, so its not a common task for the home mechanic.  But that's where I am at.  I understand the fingers are adjusted with the plate and clutch disk mounted on the flywheel.  

Richard,

On all Pierce Long clutches the distance from the back of the center disc hub to top of fingers is 1 1/8 inches. I made a plastic tool that fits in the disc and then have a 1 1/8 inch dowel on top to give me a place to put a straight edge on it to check each finger.

Karl

Thanks -  Here are a couple of pics of the pressure plate.  Hope these help!  This is for a Long 8AB clutch used on various Studebakers, Auburn, Erskine, and Graham Paige from 1929-1932 according to Hollander Interchange Manual.  

IMG_7085.JPG

IMG_7086.JPG

IMG_7087.JPG

• Like 1

Here is my set tool: small circle fits pilot bushing, center fits disc, last is the depth setting. It is measured from picture 2 disc center. I then just put a straight edge across the top and set my fingers to be level with that level.   Your clutch parts must be assembled to your fly wheel and tight to make these final adjustments on your outer lock bolt and nut.Karl

7C551920-9F8C-4F13-9B8A-11FE6C8D9CCC.jpeg

0F6CF4A8-174E-4C94-9BD9-54E4994D05ED.jpeg

D51DE7D2-E7CE-4855-9959-92E2AE7F09F0.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Karl, its a  big help. I will make a similar tool on my lathe.  However I suspect the 1 1/8" measurement for your two disk clutch will not be correct for my single disk .  I think I mostly need to make sure the three fingers are within .002 of each other at approximately the same depth as when I removed the plate.  -Richard

Good morning  richard m. looking at the picture of the clutch assembly the fingers are out out of wack with each other. If  I read you correctly you changed the fingers . And now you want to adjust them back to height. 

I do not like to tell people what to do. I will suggest  only. Remove the flywheel and place on the bench face up, put the disc on and then the pressure plate. Bolt the pressure on the flywheel down pat.  Look at the fingers , you will see the difference in heights. The the fingers can be adjusted slowly one at a time until they are level. YOU ARE NOT FINISHED YET. Adjusting the disc with the pressure plate is another step.  

Cheers mate.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

Richard, 

Living in the real world and not the perfect world, re-grinding of the flywheel and pressure plate, and the new thickness of the disc material all play into getting the distance correct. Once assembled I would adjust the fingers to 1 1/8 inch +/- then see if you are at the inner edge of the old wear marks when a straight edge is on the dowel tool and the 3 fingers. That should be close.

Karl