Does anyone know who made this horn?

Luv2Wrench

This is from a 1913 Metz 22 and appears to be standard equipment. The brackets that attach to the engine and front mount are listed in the parts list.   I'm trying to find one but I don't have any idea who might have made it.  I'm not even sure what "style" this is.   Any ideas?

image.png.d4ec631f10e57d6fe7c9c2898b239c0b.png

Addressing the above post first - most all cars came with horns supplied - or added at extra cost.  Some buyers however chose not to buy what the factory would install because they had a "favorite" horn they had purchased and used on a previous car.  They just kept it and transferred it over to the new one.  And, as can be seen in the ad provided above, they were popular accessories available in auto parts stores, garages, hardware stores, and through catalog sales. 

I am not a Metz expert but the horn shown in the photo I believe is correct for the 1913.  I've seen them before on other Metz cars.  It's known simply as a "trumpet horn" and was probably made by Metz.  I think it's something unique to that brand of car.   Perhaps others with more specific knowledge on the Metz 22's can provide more detailed info.  Looks like it would not be difficult to make one if needed.  Bulb horn tubing, bulbs and reeds are readily available from Model T parts vendors.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1