help needed to ID this wheel clamp.

cutdown

My 23 dodge was modified to be a flat deck truck many years ago and the rear wheels were changed to 21 inch,.  I am missing one wheel clap and bolt like this. Hopefully I can get another one rather than make one from scratch.  I have no idea what vehicle is we off. There are 5 clamps on these wheels.

many thanks

Dereck

DODGW REAR WHEEL CLAMP 2.jpg

DODGW REAR WHEEL CLAMP.jpg

Edited by cutdown
spelling (see edit history)

The paint and lighting make it tough to tell. But it looks like it may be a "MOTOR WHEEL" clamp. If it is, you may be able to see the "MOTOR" at the outer end of the clamp, and "WHEEL" on the inner end. In your picture, I 'think' I can make out the "MOTOR", and maybe just a hint of the "WHEEL"? 

Motor Wheel manufactured wheels for a lot of different makes of automobiles beginning in the mid 1910s and on up into the early 1930s. That style clamp was used on a lot of wheels in the mid to late 1920s. However, those clamps are a bit scarce. My 1927 Paige 6-45 uses those clamps on its wheels. Sadly, I don't have any to spare. My car was missing a few of them. I eventually found the ones I needed, but it took a few years searching swap meets (before the internet).

Firestone also made wheels with a very similar clamp. Before I found the few I needed? I found a couple of the Firestone clamps, and tried them on my wheels. They seemed to work just fine. I think I can still find one of the Firestone clamps? If so, I would be willing to send it to you. I can go out and look for it tomorrow or the next day.

For the bolt? More information would help. Bolt size, diameter and length, and thread count. Many cars used coarse thread, many cars used fine thread. Diameter may be likely 7/16 or 1/2 inch. Head style of the bolt also matters. They may have a very round head and look something like a carriage bolt? (Do NOT use a common carriage bolt!) A lot of wheel bolts used a one-sided oblong type head. A few other types were also used. A good picture with the measurements would help a lot.

Derek, I went thru my wheel clamps the other day for that fellow (in Oz?) who was looking for some. 

Anyway, it turns out I have a number of Motor Wheel clamps but unfortunately no bolts though. 

You are welcome to a couple of clamps for the price of postage. 

I also have a number of surplus Firestone, Stone, and no-name rim clamps if they are helpful to anyone. 

FABFCC7E-AEF4-45B1-80EE-D3A568F5C8DD.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Chris, can you post a photo of the Firestones ? and a measurement or two . There are several different types of Firestones. I need a number of different ones , front and rear for my Packard  { different from each other } and the early ones for wood fellow wheels. 

Staver, there are 10 of the ones on the left and three of the ones to the right. 

You’re in the lower mainland and may have known Jim Lier in Summerland… he gave me these in a box of miscellaneous rim clamps maybe 25 years ago when I was putting together a set of wheels for my KisselKar. 

C14A3592-8D7E-43DA-91FA-14C2DFE8A228.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Chris, I didn't personally know Jim Leir. I expect I probably encountered him at one event or another. I have been to many over the decades. 

The ones on the right with the Firestone lettering standing proud of the clamp look like what my Packard front wheels use. I would definitely be interested in buying them. 

The ones to the left with the  Firestone lettering sunk into the clamp are most likely newer than what I need. Probably for metel fellow wheels.

Let me know if you want to sell them. 

Thanks, Greg

34 minutes ago, Chris Bamford said:

Not for sale Greg, but free for the postage. They cost me nothing and I’m happy to see them go where needed. 

All I ask is please post a photo or two of your Packard in this thread, and PM me your mailing address. 
Packard Dave" Lockard earns National Awards for his WWI trucks,  storytelling - World War I Centennial

Hi Chris, my Packard is actually a Series E 2 ton truck. And it is in many pieces so not very photogenic. 

My 3 ton is more intact, however that one may be ending up with a AACA forum member in New Zealand.

The 2 ton will hopefully look like this once it is one piece again. But there is still a long way to go.

My 2 Ton was a City of New Westminster truck here in the Lower Mainland when it was new. Then sold surplus to a Ladner B.C. trucking family who used it up to the late 1940's. Eventually sold to a Langley B.C. truck collector some time in the early 1960's . . I bought it at his estate sale about 20 years ago.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It actually was in 100 pieces or more when I bought it. I have blasted and primed a large amount of it over the years. But space is very tight here so things are filed away as soon as they are dealt with. I am slowly saving up for a decent shop. Things are a lot tighter than I anticipated before retirement , but the shop fund is making headway. Current inflation isn't helping any however.

Here are a couple of shots of the 3 ton. It came from the Seatle WA. area. I bought it to help out with the two ton , but almost nothing interchanges. They look almost exactly the same , but Packard scaled up the size of everything by about 15 % -20% on the 3 Ton.

DSC_0235 (2).JPG

DSC_0240.JPG

DSC_0241.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks Guys. 

Chris, I will have another good look at this clamp of mine and get back to you [ mine appear to have the wording stamped into them. I seem to have put my sample in a SAFE place so will have to go back to thew car to look at another one. ]  Yours look very much the same.  Where abouts are you. I'm in Kerikeri.

Sorry about the late reply. I forgot to recheck this thread. I have been busy sorting out these two engines of mine.

Dereck

How much postage would you like and how do I pay you. On close inspection of the photo, I can see part of the M and most of the R so they have to be the same.

Mainland rings a bell but Summerland doesn't, unless you are taking the Micky out of Tim.

Many thanks.  

Edited by cutdown
new info (see edit history)

Cutdown, I'm around the world from you in Western Canada. Having said that, we've travelled in your particular part of heaven, and hosteled several nights in nearby Piahia and Ahipara in 2018. Lovely lovely country... I thumbed my way around both islands in 1973 and introduced my beloved to the place three years ago.

Postage won't be cheap, but whatever it is you could repay by PayPal or if that doesn't work I'll give you an name and address in Gisborne where you could send it — a good friend there posts me their NZVCC Branch newsletters regularly and this would help compensate for his troubles.

No charge for the clamps — all I ask, as with 1912 Staver above, is a photo of the vehicle where the items will be used.

Edited by Chris Bamford (see edit history)

Hi Chris. I can do paypal or give something to your friend in Gisborne. Let me and him know. I joined the VCC about 4-5 months ago.  Look on the Dodge forum under 1923 Dodge engine and you will see some photos.

If you are wondering about my comments,  South Islanders in New Zealand like to think their part of the country is the Mainland, and the deep south, Invercargil, is where that wag Tim Shadbolt [ author of "Bullshit and Jellybeans" ] is still Mayor.  He was also the Major of Waitakere many years ago and infamous for towing his concrete mixer around on the back of his Mayoral Limo.

There may not be many 1923 Dodges in NZ but I know of one in Whangarei and one in Christchurch.

All he best from "The Winterless North" of NZ. .

Photo taken about 26 years ago. The girl holding the cat has Two kids of her own now about the same age as her brothers in the pic.

DereckIMG_20210923_085355.jpg.24ab80720e86d73dd438d8afc3000fb2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ShowMe said:

I'm looking for several of these Motor Wheel Lugs for a friend in Finland. Are you willing to give some up? I sent him 9 and they got lost in Customs in Finland $%$&@.  I just joined can't send a message just yet

Should be no problem — my policy on giving parts away free is I need a photo of the destination vehicle and coverage of shipping cost. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris Bamford said:

Should be no problem — my policy on giving parts away free is I need a photo of the destination vehicle and coverage of shipping cost. 

I'll get a photo from him. The shipping cost to Finland was $39.40 for a Priority Mail Flat rate Box from the US - I have attached his mailing address. Best to send as a gift with a thank you card. I will pay you for the postage via PayPal if that's Okay or you can ship to me . I rather send address info via email or AACA message but I'm not allowed  yet. But if you send me a message I'll respond to that with the details . Here is my zip code 61265 USA  and  his is NOKIA 37120 Finland   We thank you in advance, Frank * Ville

Hi Chris. Our computer died 2 nights ago and we probably lost a lot of info.  Could you please send me the tracking info again in case it cant be obtained from the old computer. Who ever thought they needed to backup the home computer.,  I haven't been told where to send the money yet .,  

dERECK