Decoding a ‘40 Buick data plate

Century Eight

Anybody know how to decode these old plates?  Model numbers and colors are obvious if you have a color chart but I have several other questions.  

I have a 1940 61c and the data plate is on the firewall, directly behind the block and it is riveted on.  I was viewing another 40 61c on line and that car had the data plate screwed on the top side of the right side cowl with traditional heads (not Phillips head).   I have two other 40 specials, and these have their plates riveted to the side of the right cowls.    Did these move around based on the plant?  These were all Body by Fisher of course.

What is trim code 859  7?  

My car is body number 65 and the other guys car is body number 109 and trim code 

865 7.   I assume this was color and material?

These don’t seem like very difficult questions.  Is there a source explaining all the different numbers and locations?

Thanks if you know.

Hello Century,

I have had my 56s for the past 11 years and have collected some information on the '40 Buick. The data plate should be located on the passengers side of the cowl. No screws, rivets. The information that I have for that trim # 859 refers to the interior as being a Tan Leather. This makes sense at your 61C is the 5 passenger 4 door convertible phaeton. The number 7 after the 859 is beyond me.

Good luck,

Mike

From a list "1932-1975-buick-trim-codes-01.pdf" by Sean1997 (who has not posted for a long time)

Link-->https://forums.aaca.org/topic/231704-1932-1975-buick-trim-codes-by-model/

859 Tan Leather Model 61C, 66C, 80C, 81C
865 Tan Bedford Cord (2 Tone) Model 61C, 66C, 80C, 81

• Thanks 1

Thanks Kingrudy.  

My phaeton was restored before I got it, with tan leather and it is currently sequoia cream though the paint started out color 541 which is black.  So it kept the same color leather and I like it better in the yellow.   My car tag looks like it has the original rivets definitely on the firewall behind the block.  If you look up Bring a Trailer, the other phaeton I was speaking of was shown as a no sale from last Feb but is still viewable.  His tag is on the top side of the right hand cowl and shows the two screws.  

BTW, my ‘50 that I bought 46 years ago with under 13 k miles is also on the top side of the passenger side cowl with Phillips heads.  Earlier this year on a similar thread, there was a debate about screws vs rivets and apparently they are both correct considering the number of responses that had screws.  

I just find it odd the locations moved around, especially with the same body style.

I have a 40 41 and a 40 46c and both of those are on the right cowl but on the side vs the top.

Thanks for telling me about the leather color.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, 1939_Buick said:

From a list "1932-1975-buick-trim-codes-01.pdf" by Sean1997 (who has not posted for a long time)

Link-->https://forums.aaca.org/topic/231704-1932-1975-buick-trim-codes-by-model/

859 Tan Leather Model 61C, 66C, 80C, 81C
865 Tan Bedford Cord (2 Tone) Model 61C, 66C, 80C, 81

Yup I was quoting a post from Sean in 2012

Mike